Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryansharkbait

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My son and I have a 50 gal sw that we set up on Xmas. We ate new to the game and both excited to learn

I have done FW my whole life, but now time to try something new. I aquired a couple pieces that I need help identifying please. The second piece is in a tree formation. Mostly yellowish/brown and the tips are a light green. I have yet to see any tinacals come out. Pics are attached. Any questions, please ask away. Thanks in advance for reading and your help!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1421534345715.jpg
    1421534345715.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 1421534387035.jpg
    1421534387035.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 121
The first guy is a very upset and receeding open brain coral. Keeping water pristine will help it recover.
The second is an acropora of some sort. Won't be able to figure out what it is until it grows out more. Acros can be the 'end game' or corals as some can be quite difficult to keep with their requirements of pristine water conditions and high intensity lighting.

The first guy is a very upset and receeding open brain coral. Keeping water pristine will help it recover.
The second is an acropora of some sort. Won't be able to figure out what it is until it grows out more. Acros can be the 'end game' or corals as some can be quite difficult to keep with their requirements of pristine water conditions and high intensity lighting.

+1 to both id's, however I wouldn't say acros are something to be afraid of. They need very good water quality and lighting, but neither of those is particularly hard to achieve, if you are willing to hear advice and make careful decisions.

If the tank was set up just a couple weeks ago, it might be a good idea to wait on these more finicky corals until you have had more experience with maintaining stable parameters and such.
Not trying to be rude, just in the interest of "finding the groove" of maintaining SW :)

Also, what lights are you running? What are your parameters at? It may help diagnose any problems if that's what is causing the brain to recede.

Thank you both. I'm totally open to advice and recommendations, that's why I'm on here! My water parameters are right on par, except my ammonia spiked a Lil the day after adding these guys. I'm running the tank at 78 degrees. Additionally, I purchased a green mushroom which looks amazing (in my eyes)and has really opened up since I put him in the tank. These 3, I purchased it out of a misc. Rubble tank for $5 each.

I have a green star polyp (which is doing great and starting to spread now) and some button polyps that I found on the live rock I first added. These guys have really taken off and look great. I've read that if the green star starts coming around, then everything in the tank must be coming around pretty well.

My lighting is the Ecoxotic LED with 50 total watts. Dimmable white and dimmable actinic. These were the brightest ones in the store. Also have the ramp timer coming in the mail worth a remote. It will simulate sunny days, cloudy days and even thunderstorms, is pretty sweet.

Anyways, now that I know what they are, I will do my research and make sure ice got adequate placement for these guys and such. I really appreciate the help and always welcome the advice and feedback.

Well, my $10 receding brain coral is showing some live this week! I've been feeding on a regular basis and he catching on. I've seen a little growth and some color enhancement over the past week as well. I'm pretty stoked now and hope he makes a full recovery! Thanks for the help!

Well, my $10 receding brain coral is showing some live this week! I've been feeding on a regular basis and he catching on. I've seen a little growth and some color enhancement over the past week as well. I'm pretty stoked now and hope he makes a full recovery! Thanks for the help!

No problem, glad to hear about the brain!

Back
Top Bottom