Please help...what kind of live rock is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
I made the plunge last night and purchased a 46 gallon bowfront... was setup at the persons house.. came with around 50 pounds of live rock and two clown fish and 3 small hermit crabs.. I successfully moved my existing live rock from my 1 week old 29 gallon tank and mixed it with some of his live rock.. I am not sure if the live rock that i got from his is a preferred kind or not? My live rock that i purchased looks just like Rock.. this stuff looks almost like huge pinecones... is this normal live rock and good? or should I junk it and just go with the normal stuff? also, alot of his live rock that looks like this has like cloudy looking hair stuff on it.. is this bad algae and maybe i should take it all out of the tank?
I am posting some pictures.. im wondering what type of live rock is the one with all the pointy stuff coming out.. my existing stuff is on the bottom and looks like normal rock... other picture is of that hairy stuff..thank you for helping this beginner...
IMG_20150623_090727086.jpg

IMG_20150623_090740511.jpg

IMG_20150623_091610584.jpg
does this look like enough LR? not enough? I didnt even weight it... i still have another 30 pounds or so sitting in a bucket of water.. some traditional style others this pointy style...what would you do? should I take this all out and weight it all to see how much i have in there or is this good?

Stuff looks ok, can't really say what kind it is though.
I'd throw in a few more pounds for good measure. you really can't have to much live rock in a tank.

Algae.. Same with the purple on the glass. It wipes right off. No idea what kind of rock it is. Maybe dead coral pieces? I have a big head of live rock that used to be a piece of coral in my tank.

Caleb

looks like branching live rock from tonga
tongabranchlarge.jpg

as for the fuzzys most likely diatoms or cayno both normal in new tank blowing off rocks along with water changes will help but the battle could take 3 to 6 months before its gone , as your tank needs to burn up any silicates that may be present,
as for rock you should have aprox 1 to 1 1/2 lbs per gallon I have around 250 lbs in my 90g

Back
Top Bottom