Please ID this algae for me...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aceshighk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey...

can yall please ID this type of algae for me...i think it mite be hair algae, but I haven't found a good pic to confirm it...thanks...

btw...the algae looks a little lighter and greener than in the pic...my flash kind of messed up the shot

Attachments

• algae2_177.jpg
    algae2_177.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 24
  • algae2_907.jpg
    algae2_907.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 27
  • algae2_126.jpg
    algae2_126.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 56
Hair algae is normally brought on by to many nutrients in the tank. Phosphates and nitrates in particular. Are you using tap water? Don't know how your water is but mine has huge amounts of phos and nitrates and the only way I could beat it was to switch over to RO/DI water. Otherwise, what are you feeding the tank and how often? Phosphates can be introduced through the food and over feeding. If you are using frozen foods, drain them before putting it in your tank. How long is your light cycle? Just a few suggestions off the top of my head. HTH

my tank is along a glass door, so there's a decent amount of sunlight...is that enough to cause the hair algae?...i've noticed my nitrate levels have been high lately....

If your level of nitrate is high, how much? The goal is to try and keep it as low as possible. Perhaps it is time for a partial water change. Do a search here on water change, you should find plenty of details and information on this topic. :wink:

8)

Back
Top Bottom