Please tell me there ARENT aiptasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloudxsoldier

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a couple of these polyps things that i know are ok (first pic) and i've been praying that they spread. ive been feeding them heaps for a few months and nothing.

Now I notice these things other things (that have been in my tank for months) get bigger and start growing longer tenticles. I'm HOPING they are small polyps/ Zoa's but I'm not sure.

Please confirm exactly what they are if anyone knows.

Attachments

• zoa.jpg
    zoa.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 145
  • aiptasia.jpg
    aiptasia.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 164
  • aiptasia 2.jpg
    aiptasia 2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 146
The polyps in the first photo are paly's.

The polyps in the other two pics 'might' be aiptasia.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm really hanging out for some solid identification before I start trying to remove them. The last thing I wanna do is destroy them all and then find out that its my paly's trying to spread.

Some more Info to help:

I've had them for months but they arent spreading all that fast.
They do not move and I can't see their bases. They seem to come out from small holes in the rock. some have quite a long stalk.
Some are growing upside down under a rock ledge (there are actually a group of about 5 here) the second picture shows them.

Hoping someone can help
Thanks

Last edited:
They don't look like aiptasia, it does not have a thick base with clear stringy things, not sure what they are, but why take them out when they could turn out to be something cool.

Ones in the first picture are indeed palys (protopalys to be exact - commonly referred to as button polyps); once your tank parameters stabilize, with good lights and a mature tank, they will start spreading. In fact they may even reach a point of spreading too much for you, but that is in the future.

The ones in the bottom picture are not your palys spreading, can't give you a positive ID from the picture but they do appear to be one of the nuisense nems like aptasia or manjo. I personally would eliminate or remove them ASAP before they start spreading.

That's exactly my thought. I'm not removing them unless i can get total confirmation.

I've done alot of research and cannot find a picture of aptasia that looks anything like this. I know how fast they spread and these have been there for months.

I'm gonna try feeding them a little and see what happens when they get bigger.

Thanks for the replys

I'll keep you all updated

Ty Renegade,

I apprecaite the advice. I think I will risk it a little longer and see what happens with them.

I'm really not to concerned about them spreading super fast as I said, they have been there for months with no issues.

Again, I'll keep you all informed

I'm going to challenge your comment on it NOT being a button poly, not becuase I'm trying to be smart, just cause I might learn something from doing so.

The reason being is that I am yet to see a picture of a very new button poly.

What i've noticed is that the younger the poly, the longer the 'tenticles' are. I've seen this from a few pcitures as well as observing the few that I have in my tank.

Something else Ive noticed is that the items in question apprear to have a rigid tenticle pattern. every second one points out higher than the other. you can see this clearly in the picture attached.
They have a \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ pattern all the way around.

So you think there may be a connection here?

Im sorry if that doesnt make sense. Let me know if it doesnt.

No problem. In my experience, a new button polyp looks exactly like an older button polyp, only a little smaller in size. While some may indeed have longer tentacles, I've yet to see any button polyp where the length of the tentacles are longer than the size of the oral disc, which the ones in your bottom picture clearly are. Hence why I'm more inclined towards a nuiscence nem than a button polyp. Not real sure where you're going with the tentacle direction thing to be honest. Again, I'm just judging based on tentacle length.

I'm not sure if this same rule applies to most things of this nature, but if you look at the photo attached, you can see that every second tenticle is points in a different direction to the other (one up, one down, one up one down) etc. I'm only saying that these things that I have share this feature.

I think I will just continue with the plan of waiting it out and seeing if they change much.

I might even grag a decent camera for a better photo (iphones can I do so much) :)

Ty once again for all your help

Attachments

• 10252_14.jpg
    10252_14.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 78
I'm not sure if this same rule applies to most things of this nature, but if you look at the photo attached, you can see that every second tenticle is points in a different direction to the other (one up, one down, one up one down) etc. I'm only saying that these things that I have share this feature.

I think I will just continue with the plan of waiting it out and seeing if they change much.

I might even grag a decent camera for a better photo (iphones can I do so much) :)

Ty once again for all your help

Yeah, not real sure that actually applies in all honesty. Have to admit you made me go look at my own palys, as I hadn't noticed anything like that. Based on what I'm seeing, I'd say its not a hard and fast rule. Better picture would probably help quite a bit.

those things on the underside of the rock are not palythoa IMO. i'm thinking colonial hydroids.

Welcome Doug

lol. bout time you showed up!

I'm thinking thats what they are aswell. I cant get a serious picture confirmation on google but they do look similar.

Looks like it's extermination time?

and hints on their removal?

Back
Top Bottom