Pls help identify this...is it an anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
These two creates were on some lr that I recently recd from liverocks.com. Can anyone tell me what they are?

Click here to see

Sorry pictures are a bit blurry... there are two things that I think are anemones..sorry I'm a total newbie at this.

bad news... I think its an aptasia. :wink: ( not sure on spelling and id, im a newb)
You should probably get some advice from the pros soon.

Acording to Ron over at Liverocks.com Aipstatia are not found in the areas where their LR is collected and are supposed to be Rock Anemones... I have not had any issues with mine but In my Reef Tank I have always nuked them.. In my agressive setup I left them.. Its kinda up to you... Mine have never posed a problem nor have they gone and spread like mad.. If it were me and My Reef I would nuke It with some Joes Juice..

HTH<
James

I've checked out a few pictures of "rock anemones" (Aiptasia), but I don't see a resemblance... not to say that it isn't, because I really don't know. Maybe they come in different varieties or something.

I always planned on only a fish system with live rock...so I don't think my lighting is sufficient to allow an anemone to thrive (65W pc SmartLite).

If it is a " gooe" anemone, I would like to do whatever I can to let it live..if not, I'll get rid of it.

Thanks for the comments!

The lighting is not going to make a difference.. They seem to me non Photosynthetic.. I have 3 or 4 of them in a 55g with 2x55w PC lights and before the other day they were under a single 55w PC.. I would either Keep it in the tank or nuke it with some Joes Juice.. Your Choice..

James

cj10488 said:
Acording to Ron over at Liverocks.com Aipstatia are not found in the areas where their LR is collected and are supposed to be Rock Anemones...
They actually list Aiptasia tagetes (glass anemones) on their list of possible hitchikers.

Cheers
Steve

After examining more pictures of Aiptasia, I'm pretty sure that is what it is. I had some different pictures of them before that didn't really resemble what I have...but I have discovered a 3rd one on a smaller rock.

it looks more like a majano anemone. they are very aggressive and spread like wildfire. I have not found anything that eats them on a regular basis. You have ot inject them with either boiling water, peroxide, lemon juice, kalk wasser...

Back
Top Bottom