Pods in my 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone!

While looking at my empty 55g (rock, sand, and coral, but no fish). I saw a ton of little "bugs" crawling around my rock and glass. I am hoping they are pods, but I am not entirely sure. Some are larger, and some are smaller.

Since there are a lot of them in the tank (and if they are pods), how much longer would you recommend waiting before considering a Mandarin?

Do you have any ID tips to find out if they are indeed pods or not?

Thanks a lot!

I know how psyched you must be, but sometimes in my tanks I would have pod "explosions". I mean literally thousands of them would layer the glass and then within a week or two they would die back down again. happens every couple months or so for me.

If you maintain the pod quantity for a month or two maybe you can consider the mandarin. I don't know how much luck you'd have target feeding one prepared foods in such a big tank though. :-( But pods are a good sign. I just found some pictures of pods I had taken a while ago the other day, here they are, maybe they can help

img_1905982_0_d2c12d83e4012b81fcc768b6f4741521.jpg

img_1905982_1_d4b939b6d5fefef2e8b0f29b3c72cb0b.jpg

img_1905982_2_21036bb9a0044da6b4e117de7817da53.jpg

img_1905982_3_8e6bb35fa1f5d93df34d19d9bd43b79c.jpg

Those in the pictures are amphipods. The ones that mandarins normally eat and eat a lot of are copepods. A lot smaller and look like lice on the glass. Can't really see them on the live rock. I have seen my mandarin eat an amphipod, but normally it's out picking off the smaller copepod.

carey said:
I know how psyched you must be, but sometimes in my tanks I would have pod "explosions". I mean literally thousands of them would layer the glass and then within a week or two they would die back down again. happens every couple months or so for me.

If you maintain the pod quantity for a month or two maybe you can consider the mandarin. I don't know how much luck you'd have target feeding one prepared foods in such a big tank though. :-( But pods are a good sign. I just found some pictures of pods I had taken a while ago the other day, here they are, maybe they can help

Great pictures Carey!

lol. I snapped them a few months ago and just ran across them while organizing my thousands of fish photos. LOL

I wasn't sure if they were pods or what but I know my butterfly eats them. ;-) They are so big they actually eat pellets when I drop them in. It's hilarious to watch.....

Thanks for the posts everyone!

As of yesterday there is still a good amount of the glass (some on rocks too). :)

That leads me to my next question, when I do decide to get a Mandarin (in a while), would it be able to survive a QT period of hypo? Or do you think I should just buy one from LA and hope for the best.

Thanks!

Carey- Glad your Butterfly is still doing well!

Thanks redsea, that butterfly is a fiend when it comes to those pods, it's great fun watching him chase them when they get away from him. LOL

I did not QT my mandy, but I did have the lfs keep them separate for like 2 weeks before i got her. Thats one fish that I wouldnt worry about qt'ing, I believe they are pretty disease resistant from what i read so you should be ok.

Thanks redsea, that butterfly is a fiend when it comes to those pods, it's great fun watching him chase them when they get away from him. LOL

I did not QT my mandy, but I did have the lfs keep them separate for like 2 weeks before i got her. Thats one fish that I wouldnt worry about qt'ing, I believe they are pretty disease resistant from what i read so you should be ok.

Great, thanks a lot!

When I am ready, I will try to find one online (ORA). Do you know any good places to buy ORA Mandarins? I think LiveAquaria only has ones taken from the ocean.

:thanks:

redsea said:
Great, thanks a lot!

When I am ready, I will try to find one online (ORA). Do you know any good places to buy ORA Mandarins? I think LiveAquaria only has ones taken from the ocean.

:thanks:

They sometimes have ORA ones in divers den. Other than that you have to find a lfs that orders from ORA

Haha last night i saw my clown and chalk bass going crazy! I didnt know why and it looked like they were eating alot but there was no food. Then i looked closer and saw TONS of little pods everywhere. Midnight snack for my fishies :)

Yep, pods make a great snack!

I would really like to order the Mandarin soon, but I know that waiting is the best thing for the fish, so I definitely will. It is great that I have this forum as a recource, otherwise I probably would have already bought a Mandarin for a tank with zero pods.

Glad you're being patient, its' the best thing you can do.

I love this site, i would have had a ton of tangs in a 55g if it weren't for this forum. LOL

Glad you're being patient, its' the best thing you can do.

I love this site, i would have had a ton of tangs in a 55g if it weren't for this forum. LOL
I agree. I already had a blue Hippo in a 55g, and at one time I was considering a Yellow too :nono:.

So do you think the end of May is too soon if I keep seeing these pods? Or maybe in June? Thank you.

I'd wait a few more weeks and see if the population holds up. :) You can also up your chances of keeping one by going with an ORA one. I think that helped me tremendously with getting mine on frozen foods. No help with pellets, lol but I think she took to prepared easier because of her upbringing. :-D

I will definitely get an ORA one. :) It looks like when I am ready I will be ordering from saltwaterfish.com (unless I spot one in the Diver's Den when I am making that late May order). I really like all three kinds, so I will just buy the one that is available (although I probably like the red the most). :)

Thanks!

Not sure if there is an ORA Red mandy. :-( I was researching for one a few months ago and only found the blue ones.

Back
Top Bottom