pokerstar monti

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamra&steven

Aquarium Advice Freak
my lfs has a large poker star monti cap "they say", but i can not find it a pic of it anywhere to see if it realy is. it is green with bright blue polyps. when i look it up all i can find is encursting types of pokerstar monti and i keep reading about it and im not even sure what a pokerstar monti is right now. does anyone have this type of monti cap?

A "pokerstar monti" is just a fancy name for a montipora danae. It is not a montipora capricornus. They are 2 different species.

Pokerstar, sunset, superman, rainbow and dozens of others are just names given to different color combinations of the same coral. As ccCapt said this is not a cap. It is an encrusting monti. They are beautiful and expensive!

WOW! That is beautiful!
What kind of lighting do they need and how big do they get?
Are they hard to keep? I think I may have found my first coral...if it is so suggested.

I was just wondering if the OP could post a pic of his coral so we could see what he had.

They will continue to encrust...kind of an endless thing. They need pretty strong lighting and good flow. They are an SPS coral.

Well, I have 324W on my 55 and 834 on my 125, so it should go in either one correct? Are they difficult, or would you recommend them for a first coral?

As long as your CA, Alk and mag are in good standing and you have good flow they should be just fine in either of your tanks. They aren't difficult.

Another similar monti is the very rare montipora palawanensis..aka "The Amazing Appleberry".
Sanjay has frags of this available for the frag swap next weekend, but $50 for a 1" piece.

img_918345_0_716e5952de47d39ed99056764c1046ea.jpg

That's a pretty good price for that coral I think. I've seen Sunset, Superman and other similar monti's for $99 for a 1/2" piece. I'd drop $50 on that coral in a heart beat!

I've been tossing the idea back and forth. Get it...nah, too much $. That would be the most expensive coral in my tank...and the smallest. Still have a week to decide.

I wish I could say the same thing about that being the most expensive in my tank.

Tell you what....If you get it after it has grown some I'll buy a frag of it from you! :D

Back
Top Bottom