Possible starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyswife

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank has been set up for 4 yrs. I've recently added some shrimp, snails and blue legged hermits.
A couple of weeks ago I noticed a couple of red and white "threads" coming out of my live rock. I saw it again today. Four legs coming out of different holes in the rock, close enough that it could possibly be a starfish. My question is, could I have had this animal in my tank, a hitchhiker from the LR, for the past 4 yrs and never saw it? I would post a picture but it's so thin that my camera can't focus on it.

Thanks,
Jill

Could it be a eunicide worm? They have little "feelers" that poke of of rocks that could look like thin star fish legs.

It doesn't look like a eunicide worm from what I've researched on the internet. It's not a bristle worm either, I have plenty of those. I thought it may be the legs of a Pom-pom crab I've recently added, because the legs are very similar in color, but I just fed the tank and I see both the crab and the other critter.:confused:

Here's the best I can do for a picture. They're two "legs" in the pic. I've seen as many as five but in different holes in this area. The last time I saw them they were in the same area. They always come out at the same time, also.

Attachments

• IMG_5335.jpg
    IMG_5335.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 96
My vote is brittle starfish they start really small hidden in live rock they stick their legs when food is around. When they get too big for their hole they come out and go into the sand. They are good to have they are scavengers and eat debris.

Back
Top Bottom