Psychedelic Mandarin Goby male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meganinez

Aquarium Advice Regular
Picked this beautiful Psychedelic Mandarin Goby today was told she was female but someone said she looks male want to get it a mate but got to figure out the sex first

image-3647567834.jpg

image-3255249752.jpg

image-2137120651.jpg

You need to get a picture of the dorsal fin while displaying. If long and thin its a male if short a stout its a female

From the picture after looking again it seems to be a female I don't see the fin running down its back like a males would while holding it down

If I had that fish I wouldn't be worried about gender I would just be happy I had such an amazing fish.

Lol yes she is and she eats well so I'm happy. I just think its interesting knowing the sex. (I was thinking about getting her a mate when I get a bigger tank, but that won't be happening for almost a year:) )

that is the MOST gorgeous fish I have ever seen....Abosulutely beautiful! how expensive are these if you don't mind me asking?

Mrc8858 said:
From the picture after looking again it seems to be a female I don't see the fin running down its back like a males would while holding it down

+1 mrc8858, as always wonderful reply with great facts not just its a female.

Looks like a female to me as well. :) The male will have an elongated dorsal fin which is the way to tell them apart.

Funny tidbit for you, I purchased my blue mandarin and was told it was a female. It was really really tiny so I just took his word for it. Now almost a year later I come to see it really is a male. LOL So the name mandy is kinda moot now. hehe....

Still, good luck with the fish and hopefully yours does really well long term. :)

Carey you have had yours for a year? Any tips I plan I reposing every other week

Sorry hit send before fixing and finishing I meant I was planning on repoding every other week :)

This morning I watched her eat some of the frozen brine shrimp that landed on the sand bed!

love mine
they are just so playful
lots of fun to watch(y)
they both eat frozen mysis , small live mysiss , and live brine shrimp , and pods
just bought a 20 long divided it into 3 sections to breed my own feeders

54seaweed said:
love mine
they are just so playful
lots of fun to watch(y)
they both eat frozen mysis , small live mysiss , and live brine shrimp , and pods

They are so adorable! Did you buy them as a pair?

sally pu said:
that is the MOST gorgeous fish I have ever seen....Abosulutely beautiful! how expensive are these if you don't mind me asking?

She was 30$ but she needs trigger pods to eat and I have podded my rocks 3 times and plan on doing every month so at 20$ every time I pod she becomes more expensive :)

54seaweed said:
love mine
they are just so playful
lots of fun to watch(y)

Seaweed on another note just saw you have a 37 bow front would love to see a pictures because mine is almost the same

Here is a shot of my Mandy. I have had her for about a year or so and she's gotten quite the fat little belly. lol She just recently started eating pellets as well as the frozen food she's been living on.

img_2036813_0_5e81036e31221fb03c4f6ed94a5d52ac.jpg

They are so adorable! Did you buy them as a pair?

Yes than the male died a week later , was hard finding another match but I found one and they are never apart now

Seaweed on another note just saw you have a 37 bow front would love to see a pictures because mine is almost the same

here is one of my latest picts of tank
just added few more corals
one day light
one nite light
waiting on my new lights hope they'll get here soon
lights I have now don't do it justice

Back
Top Bottom