Purple bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not positive but i believe that bubble algae comes in a red variety as well. which would be my guess. I think i have a few of those in my tank so i will have to watch your thread so when someone who knows what their talking about answers i will know as well : )

Also agree that I read somewhere about the red variety. Pretty sure I read it here somewhere! (Go figure.) I'm remembering maybe Devilishturtles had it? Maybe?

Looking at that closeup picture though, it doesn't seem like it's growing in the same pattern as "normal" green bubble algae. Looks more like grapes.

Hi Ray. :)
I agree it looks like Botryocladia. I have some in my tank and it seems to like to grow on my hydor ph's. Go figure. Unless it becomes a real nuicense, I wouldn't worry about it. Since it is in your fuge, I would leave it, but then I think it's kinda pretty. :)

Yes I did (unfortunately) have this in my tank. Nice memory Kurt! It came in on some live rock I got and took over...absolutely everything! Rock, killed some of my LPS corals, clogged up power heads, etc. I hate it with all my guts lol.

Seriously though, this stuff can be vicious if it gets out of hand, just be sure to never, ever, EVER pop it or even think about popping it. Seriously, I popped one and within a day I had baby bubbles all over the place.

I sent something off to WWM because mine had way different coloration than the normal Botryocladia and Fenner said that he thought that is what it was too.

Did I mention how much I hate it? :)

Now why can I remember stuff like that, but when I come into work in the morning I have the hardest time remembering what I was doing 12 hours prior! :)

Agreed that it does look to be Botryocladia skottsbergii. Ahh I remember Lindsay's pain *snickers*

Oy, I remember that as well Lindsay (since you reminded me. lol). I could see it being a pain in a main tank but since it is only in the fuge, as long as it stays there, I would probably just leave it.

I am gonna leave it for the most part. Some pcs are easy to pull the entire "bunch" off with out pinching any of the "grapes". There's 2 peppermint shrimps, an urchin, and a neon goby living down there. Thinking about adding 2 or 3 emerald green crabs.

Whatcha think of the crabs?

Hey Cindy! So happy you're back!!! Those of you who don't know her well....let's just say you'll enjoy her being around, believe me.

Supposedly the emerald crabs are supposed to take care of bubble algea but sometimes a crab is a crab if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the props Ray!!
As for the crabs, I've seen people keep them in thier reefs with never a problem, but as Mike said, a crab will be a crab and come with risks. Personally, I would give them a shot as I think crabs are entertaining to watch and they may help keep the algae in check. Could you move the peppermints and goby to the reef? They would be my only concern.

Back
Top Bottom