Quick I'm scared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so last night I turned the tank lights off and about 10-20 minutes later I saw this string like thing come out of a piece of rock. It's not one of those dumb worms it was orange moved weirdly and was quick to get back into the rock. I have the rock in a bucket with water but I haven't seen it since last night and have never seen it before... Also what is this slime stuff on my rock I found it last night it seemed to have also tried wrapping a piece of shrimp in something I can't even describe. Sorry for the fuzzy picture my iPod is terrible...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395348026.680572.jpg

Yes I know :( I'm not sure it was a brownish-burnt orange color it was sort of long and It looked like it had a ton of legs I'm just hoping its bot that one worm I can't remember it's name grrr..

No it was a sort of light brown to a burnt orange but I didn't see all of it but going by how light it was it had to have been the entire body I know Euclid worms are bad but are bristle worms bad or ok

It isn't a eunicid, they're more rainbow colored. Did it have actual eyes?

Not sure like I said it was quick to get back into the rock I'm guessing it was a bristle worm mainly because the colors in seeing on google are matching what I saw

Very fast you say? Clear mucous?
oenone fulgida- A sessile invert predator. Clams, snails, and other slow movers are it's targets, but it can be drawn out with food.

here is one I had caught a few years back-
img_2884936_0_93a2042d0f8d5a186e9e4585c43b761c.jpg

And another in my refugium (notice the head with eyes...not like the others)-
img_2884936_1_1dad27c06090308555a314a8b3c6f20a.jpg

It looks soooo fuzzy :D and that's actually really close to what it looked like now that I see what the eyes look like it did have those that's a really cool worm

I have seen new things pop up in tanks years later. I don't think this worm can catch hermit crabs, but it will kill any snails and clams, if this is indeed the worm you have.

I think it is I haven't seen it again I wonder if that's how my snail died

If this is your worm, it spews a mucous around the snail and smothers it, then burrows through the shell and eats it from the inside out. Look around for a clear mucous. You'll be able to see it because it will have little particles caught in it that jiggle in the current.

Yeah I found some the other night that's what's in the picture but the picture is terrible and now one of my crabs use the shell haha

Back
Top Bottom