red flatworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm pretty sure our 20g is being overrun with red flatworms. Are they bad(besides being ugly) and how would I go about getting rid of them?

They are bad in that they will irritate and stress your corals. Salifert Flatworm Exit is a way to eradicate them.

It's not the Flatworm Exit you need be concerned about, it is very safe. It's the dead/dieing flatworms that are the concern. As long as you are properly prepared, it should go off without a hitch.

I have helped a few locally and have yet to see a loss. Corals, clams, anemones, cukes, crabs, snails and the like are unaffected. The main thing is have plenty of carbon, lots of water for water changes premixed (upto 100% just incase) and siphon out as many as possible just before hand. They come off very easily with a siphon hose. Just like sucking up sand. I have also found it effective to use 1½x the recommended first dose. 1 drop/gal is not very effective for heavy infestations.

Cheers
Steve

Well I will definitely do all of the things you have mentioned Steve because they are everywhere. Thank God it's the small tank and not the 90G or I'd be SOL with the syphoning thing. Thanks to both of you .

Back
Top Bottom