Red turf algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaWoWee

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anyone confirm that this is red turf algae taking over my rocks? And are there any methods to beat it out aside from starving nutrients. Thanks
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454016716.810037.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454016726.776476.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454016737.675718.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454016746.810064.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454016756.812210.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can anyone confirm that this is red turf algae taking over my rocks? And are there any methods to beat it out aside from starving nutrients. Thanks
View attachment 284270View attachment 284271View attachment 284272View attachment 284273View attachment 284274

First off. Im not a salt guy, nor do I claim to be.

My buddy had this same issue on his 100g salt. For awhile he just scrubbed his live rock and used his fish net to clean it off the substrate. After awhile of it not getting any better, he broke down and bought a protein skimmer.

Since then its gotten better, and is almost to the point of not being there at all! Its not an overnight change, he still had 2 months or so of scrubbing and cleaning substrate, but eventually the skimmer seemed to overtake the growth of the red algae.

Hope that helps!

That is exactly what it is. I have been battling it in my tank for some time.
This stuff can feed off of small amounts of nutrients, so that is a big part of a long battle.
I've run gfo, skimmer, and just recently bio pellets. It wasn't until I got the pellets going did I even start to make a dent in the stuff.
Pull the stuff out during water changes. This stuff burrows into the rocks, so it will be hard to pull out if there are nutrients to feed off of. When they get low, it gets very easy to pull out.

Thanks for input guys. Definitely am going to be more diligent with maintenance. Just FYI, i threw some turbo snails in and they are now plowing through it like champs. Hopefully they will get it all.

Back
Top Bottom