Regal (Blue) Tang, regional differences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFEdaddy2k

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have a good reference for the differences (colors, markings, shape, etc.) between Blue Tang's from different regions? Specifically the differences between Blue Tangs from Solomon, Fiji, and Indian Ocean regions (areas listed on liveaquaria.com site).

Reason: I just lost a Blue Tang due to it's small size and an encounter with a growing green crab. Apparently the tang's defense mechanism of "playing dead" isn't the best thing to do when you encounter a hungry crab. The tang was just barely an inch, so there wasn't much of a fight. More of just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Anyway, I'd like to get a new one from the same region because I loved the markings on her so well.

Thanks,
Kurt

I believe the Red Sea Blue Tangs (from Indian Ocean region) have a nice yellow up on the dorsal compared to others from different regions. Everything from the Red Sea is more patterned or more colored than others from different areas.

Back
Top Bottom