rock overgrown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dgpilot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, the LR in the center of the tank is nearly overgrown with plants and hard corals. I have no idea what they're called, but the green plant needs cutting every weekend as it grows branches that extend to other rocks at an alarming rate.

So basically I need an ID for the green plant, the purple coral and the last pic that is a cup shaped growth.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 92
  • PhotoTWO.jpg
    PhotoTWO.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 87
you have some Caulerpa mexicana, Caulerpa peltata, or Caulerpa taxifolia, and i believe the cup shaped growth (if it feels hard to the touch) is a form of coralline algae- Mesophyllum mesomorphum.what does that purple looking stuff feel like? is this rock originally from florida?

It feels like plastic when touching. The branches also really feel like plastic. There is so much growing that I took some out and let my wife touch it, she thought it was fake, plastic coral.

Not sure where the rock is from though, I know for sure it's not Fiji

it's just that i've seen the most diversity on florida live rock (hitch hikers i mean). that purple macro that seems hard on the left pic. i'd like some of that if you still have it in the spring. also the red cup-shaped stuff too. where are you located?

I've never seen anything like that purple macro. The small green ones to the left of it look like mermaid cups

I'm in Northern California.
So thats pretty interesting. Thanks very much for the info guys! When spring time comes along just send me a PM and I'm sure it wont be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom