Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony300

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had this saltwater tank for a while now and I started to notice this white looking feather dusters growing outward of the glass of the fishtank and I was just wondering if theses are hydroids.

They are probably one of the smaller species of tubeworms/feather dusters that come in on live rock, it is good.

Fishguy2727 said:
They are probably one of the smaller species of tubeworms/feather dusters that come in on live rock, it is good.

Yeah but there's alot of them on the glass of my tank and that doesn't harm my fish?

No, it means there is food available for them which could be good or bad. There could be a little extra debris in the tank, or you could simply be feeding properly for filter feeders like that (which could include stirring up a little debris for them to eat, almost essential for some filter feeders). In a reef tank diversity is good. There are certain things you want to avoid, but the small feather dusters are not one of them.

Fishguy2727 said:
No, it means there is food available for them which could be good or bad. There could be a little extra debris in the tank, or you could simply be feeding properly for filter feeders like that (which could include stirring up a little debris for them to eat, almost essential for some filter feeders). In a reef tank diversity is good. There are certain things you want to avoid, but the small feather dusters are not one of them.

Thank you for the info because I looked it up and I got hydroids and I herd that thoughs are bad.

They could be.. can you get a picture? Are there any tiny transparent things that look like stars on the glass?

ReefBreeder said:
They could be.. can you get a picture? Are there any tiny transparent things that look like stars on the glass?

How long does it take a hydroid to develope

Tony300 said:
How long does it take a hydroid to develope

Here's my pics of the stuff

Attachments

• image-3688764381.jpg
    image-3688764381.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 66
  • image-1066653079.jpg
    image-1066653079.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 66
  • image-3394437937.jpg