Saw this at Newport Aquarium today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piperky1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any idea what type of fish this is? Saw it at the aquarium just outside Cincinnati today. There wasn't a plaque telling what it was. I think it's cool.

Attachments

• image-1608829420.jpg
    image-1608829420.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 139
Thank you. It's an awesome looking fish. Too bad ill never have one. Priced on Liveaquaria for a measly $600.00.

There are two genera in the Monocentridae, which differ in the position of the light organ. In Monocentris it is near the tip of the lower jaw, whereas in Cleidopus it is further back. Cleidopus gloriamaris is fairly common along the warm temperate and subtropical coasts of Australia. It was one of the first marine fishes I ever kept, and the first article I ever had "published" (actually just a photocopied newsletter for my local marine aquarium society) was on keeping this species. They are nocturnal feeders and need a quiet tank to themselves, and a cave to hide in during the day. Mine did well on a diet mostly of live shrimps, though I did eventually train them to take frozen shrimp.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom