Sea slug vs zoanthids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knuckles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, i gave a slug crawling on my zoanthids, is it fine or i should place it some where else

There are nudibranchs that eat zoanthids. If it looked somehting like the one in the picture below, siphon out the nudibranch and dip the coral if possible.

41906-albums2492-picture20222.jpg

It's hard to say what that one is doing. Did you buy that one or was it a hitchhiker? It seems like we only know what a few species of nudibranchs eat including sea hares and then the pest ones that eat montipora or zoanthids.

I guess I'd watch the zoas to see how they act. If you can see him munching on them, I guess you figured out what it eats. If he's just moving around, the zoas will be fine.

I been watching it so far and noticed the polyp just opens again soon as the slug steps off it

My friend brought it from sea along with a blue sponge and clams

It is a nudibranch. Who knows what that one is after...but if the polyp opens back up when he's gone he isn't eating them. I keep catching nudibranches coming out of nowhere eating my symphodium. They def don't enjoy being chewed on. I tossed the one I found this week into the sump, we'll see where he goes from there.

Back
Top Bottom