Shrimp/crab hitchhiker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sand dollar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just saw weird legs deep in my rock work. Definitely a crab or shrimpy type thing. What would be the most likely hitch hiker? I can't get a good picture, but it's about the size of a sexy shrimp, maybe a little smaller. I think it's legs are reddish/brown. Any ideas? I'll keep watching and see if it come out more when lights go out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428265994.979752.jpg. Ok, this was just on the backside of the rock I saw it in. I can't tell if this is dead or just a molt?? I never brought this crab home on purpose, what is it?

Thanks! I'm hoping for a porcelain crab as this thing is still alive in my tank and the link you sent says most of the others are not reef safe.

Any chance it's one of the coral crabs at the end of the article? Looks kind of like #8 but with darker claws.

I looked up gorilla crabs and everything seems to reference dark tips on the claws which the molted body had but now I've seen him in more light and he is opposite of his molt (unless I have two different mystery crabs). He is more of a redish brown body and white tip claws. I don't have great pictures still because it's so small and quick to hide when I spot him. He also doesn't really look that hairy, but again he is small and hard to get a clear view of him in full light. I did set out a "trap" to try to catch him so we'll see. Any other thoughts? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428430495.703925.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428430511.733916.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

does it have like a hairy shell or is it smooth and kind of shiny with big claws
hard to see in those picts try get better pict if possible

does it look like this
images

or maybe this all I can really see is the dark shell
images
these are both porcelain's

every gorilla crab I've seen all had black tips on the claws
now this is a gorilla crab
Crab-Gorilla.jpg

Thanks 54 seaweed, I know my pictures suck. It is so small and down in crevices so it's hard getting my camera to focus on it. It's about the size of my thumb nail, looks to be mostly smooth I think. Darker legs and body, reddish with some small lighter color dots but not as much white as that first porcelain crab, the tips are definitely light so hope that rules out gorilla crabs. I'm mostly worried because it is hiding on my zoa rock and I hear gorillas and some other unwanted crabs can make a nice snack of them. I'll keep trying to catch a better picture of it!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428437539.949630.jpghere it is sneaking up on my scallop bait. It looks more red in person, actually kind of cute if it's safe.

Thanks for continuing to follow and offer ideas sniper! I hope to catch it tonight but my shrimp keeps coming to a check out the bait too. As soon as I get it in a jar I'll post a clear picture. Is it possible for the molt to be opposite colors or do you think I have two different crabs hiding in here? The molt was the same size as this crab.

Could it be an acro crab? I have an orange one that has white spots on its shell

Maybe, looked up pictures and one of them kind of looks like it. I still can't get a clear shot of it because it stays deep in the rock. The guy at my LFS thinks it's a red Emerald crab. I gave up for the weekend on catching it. May start trying tomorrow, may need to make an old fashion crabbing net because it was not interested in getting close to my bottle trap. It would come nip at the scallop when I set it on the ledge of his cage so at least I know it likes my bait.

Back
Top Bottom