Slug or Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Help! What is this stuff? Since I added my LTA, I've started seeing this stuff. It looks like algae, but it's raised. I had some new red algae on the sand a few days ago and scooped some of it out, unfortunately disturbing it so now some is in the sand, as opposed to on top. I noticed that air bubbles seem to stick to this stuff.

Anyway, this looks like the same stuff, but it's raised. Should I be concerned? If it's algae, should I be removing it?

Attachments

• p1010023.jpg
    p1010023.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 57
  • p1010022_550.jpg
    p1010022_550.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 68
Looks/sounds like cyanobacteria. Syphon it out (using airline tubing works great for this so you don't suck up to much sand), increase waterflow to those areas and watch the nutrients in your tank. Nitrates and phosphates more specifically. Be sure not to over feed as well. It doesn't take much to keep this stuff going so be diligent. Do some extra water changes with well aged/aerated RO/DI sw. Shortening your light cycle may help as well. Catching it early before it has a chance to spread, will make it easier to deal with. Good luck. :D

Yeah,well, it spread on the sand already. Doesn't seem to like the gravel (still in the process of switching over) I guess I'll be siphoning tonight.

I did try it earlier with my siphon and that just basically mixed it in with the sand and siphoned out only sand. I'll try it with air line tubing, giood idea... but now that it's mixed in the sand, have I just made my problem worse?

Also, what about chemi-clean? That's what the lfs recommends, but I don't like adding crap to my tank.

Many people have had success with the chemi-clean product. It is a safe treatment if that's what you want to try, but it is just a quick fix. Unless you fix the problems that is causing the cyano, it will adjust to the chemicals and regrow. Lots of water changes are my recommendation since cyano feeds on excess nutrients in the system. These are very present in low flow areas so cyano likes to start there. So, extra flow will help.

Thanks. I'm making more ro salt water as we speak. My phosphates are down to .5 and nitrates less than 20. I will cut down on feeding and look at adjusting some powerheads or maybe adding another.

Back
Top Bottom