Small brownish polyps growing wild!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadManMac

Aquarium Advice Freak
First of all, I will get a pic as soon as my wife brings my camera home.

Now the proble-I have these little brownish polyps that are taking over some of my rocks. I hate them and want them to die! How do I go about removing them? They are not easy to pull off, and I am afraid if I scrub them they will spread even more. Please help, and if you cannot help with this I have a seoond ID issue.

On some of my live rock, I have this growth that looks kind of like macro algea, but it is very dark brown. I think it looks like lichen on a tree trunk or somehting. It is encrusting a lot and as it has grown, it has started to have almost like leaves in the way Ulva looks, just a lot smaller and not really in sheets. Also, the tangs will not come close to eating it. Once agian, please help.

It sounds like you have an Aiptasia plague. If you have that many of them Peppermint Shrimps may help. I used a syringe and injected mine with white vinegar which took 2 attempts to work. If not stopped they will take over your tank. I'm not sure about the second one.

no, not aptasia it is not like that, they do not grow more than half inch, and look more like a blanket of fuzzy polyps. I just got a great look at aptasia at the LFS, so I know that is not it. I cannot believe what the LFS will let you put into your tank!

That would be my guess as well. I suspect a dose of Joes Juice would get rid of them although this is not endorsed by the manufacturer of this product. Most folks are trying to get these things to grow rather than kill them. They can literally come out of nowhere. I maintain a 75g FOWLR that has been up and running for several years. It's never had anything but coraline on the rock. I noticed a solitary brown polyp growing in there last week...no new rock has been introduced to this tank for over a year. You might let them grow for a while and see what develops...zooanthids can be attractive little critters...you never know how they might color up when they mature.

We have awinner!!!! (y)

They look to be Hydroids, now the question is how di I kill the little *edited* without having them spread everywhere in the tank?

:uzi: :zook: :gangsta: :shotgun: :2gunfire:

Joe's juice might work on them. I have also had luck with peppermint shrimp but your profile says you already have 3 of those. Nudi's are out since you have a sponge. :|

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom