small thing at base of coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkiley0598

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388292636.206344.jpg Unfortunately it's close up because it's
night, but could anyone tell me what this small reddish-brown thing is at the base of my toadstool leather, during the day it fans out. Is it harming the coral?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388293756.422488.jpg better pic from a few days ago (base of the coral on the left)

From the distance, I can't tell if it is a zoa or a majano anemone...but I want to say majano. Pest anemone. Squirt boiling water/lemon juice into its mouth or use a product like Joe's Juice or Aiptasia-X.

From the distance, I can't tell if it is a zoa or a majano anemone...but I want to say majano. Pest anemone. Squirt boiling water/lemon juice into its mouth or use a product like Joe's Juice or Aiptasia-X.

okay thanks for the Info, are these anemones dangerous or harmful to the corals? also will the boiling water/lemon juice harm the coral that it's resting near, how do you recommend squirting it (turkey baster?) or other

These guys are pests because they can overwhelm and out compete the other inhabitant of your tank...glass anemone reproduce quickly, even if there is a shard of one left is enough for them to regrow. They can sting corals and sometimes even fish and other inhabitants.

These guys are pests because they can overwhelm and out compete the other inhabitant of your tank...glass anemone reproduce quickly, even if there is a shard of one left is enough for them to regrow. They can sting corals and sometimes even fish and other inhabitants.

do you recommend a turkey baster for squirting the lemon juice?

I would use a syringe if you are using lemon juice. Inject the creature and load it up. A turkey baster is just going to stress it, and the coral it's near.

Back
Top Bottom