Snail egg incubation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redchick2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a snail in my tank of unknown variety. Last night it deposited about 50 egg cases on the glass of the tank. I was curious as to how long (generally speaking) snail eggs take to hatch, and if there are lots of young in one case or just a few. (Don't really want hundreds of 'em crawling around) Any information would be appreciated.

I always want mt saltwater snails lay eggs, but they never did ToT.
My freshwater ones laid eggs allover tho, and they hatch pretty quicky,
about a week or so.
the eggs I always see is either transparent or kind og yellowish with a little dot inside, when they hatched, you probably won't able to find them often, they r hella small.

I would like to know what kind of snails u have and some picture?

Here are pics of the eggs and the snail that laid them. I can count the cases in the pic and it's not nearly fifty, just 31 of 'em. The egg pics are slightley missleading as each egg case is a cylender, not a sphere. They are about1/2 long, maybe a tad bit shorter. The snail has a snout like an elephant that it waves around in search of whatever it is snails search for. It seems to prefer meaty foods and detris as opposed to algae. It spends a lot of time on the rocks, but soesn't graze like the turbos. It crawls all over the sponge growing in one pic, but doesn't seem to eat any of it. I guess it's as happy as a snail can be if it is reproducing. I don't know what type it is.

Attachments

• snail eggs.JPG
    snail eggs.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 601
  • snail eggs 2.jpg
    snail eggs 2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 361
  • unknown snail.jpg
    unknown snail.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 153
  • unknown snail 2.jpg
    unknown snail 2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 142
look almost the same as my freshwater ones, except yours have a gray white look hehe
they should be hatch with in a month. (how many adult one u got, there should be more eggs in other place, they lay eggs like crazy when they feel like to, mine within a week laid all over the glass, plant, heater and even in my HOB filter, now from 8snails~ they turn out to around 200 LOL)
they look like turbo to me, but just so white OoO
and u said they have snout like an elephant, I will guess they r some kind of nassarius snails. (Not pro on Iden different species)
as long as your tank don't have predators, and the paraM r good, the they should be hatch soon and you tank will have million of them LOL~ (my snail tank have algae bloom, they r doing fine, but they lay less eggs than they used to.)
good luck!!

p.s. baby snails IME on the FW ones, after they hatch, most of them like to climb all the way up to the surface. keep your eyes on them, if they r out too long, they will get too dry and die, either put it down, add a little bit water, or spray water on them XD.
and if u have a HOB filter, careful they get into it....my HOB is full with snails LOL

That's my thoughts, also. The snail did lay them at the top of the tank, close to the water line and the turbos ignore them. I figure it's just a matter of time till the starfish finds them, though. It is the only thing in my tank right now that would eat them. The crabs never go that high in the tank.

All the eggs but one hatched today. It was one snail per egg. the babies just fell down into the substrate and stayed there. I did see one crawling up the glass this evening, but looks like it will be a while before they are easily seen.

This is the only time I have had snail eggs that I could actually see. I think one of the turbos may have before, but can't confirm the babies didn't come from live rock.

this snail only laid one batch, but if even half of them survive.. that's a bunch of snails.
I also noticed several of my crabs seem to have young 'uns under their bellies (reminds me of a wolf spider) My clean up crew seems to be wanting to take over!

hahaha your cleaning crews r up for BABIES!!! LMAO
but thats a great thing to experience, to actually feel the wild life in your aquarium.
I wish my SW livestocks to have babies someday, but first I need my tank to reef before my puffers eat all my cleaning crews LOL

Know what ya mean. My favorite fish is the cowfish, but when the last one died (ick get's em every time) I decided not to replace him so I can have some cleaning shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom