Soft Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMDPhenomX4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Need id.

Attachments

• 100_1141[1].jpg
    100_1141[1].jpg
    74 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_1145[1].jpg
    100_1145[1].jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_1143[1].jpg
    100_1143[1].jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_1140[1].jpg
    100_1140[1].jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 63
Ah crap. My tank doesnt even have a fuge... Lol Was under 40 a good price? Ah crap even worse. It has 24 tentacles not 12:( Ah Im screwed.

I meant as i only had the tank a few months, Have PC lighting, And its a hard to keep coral. Also the coral is like 4inches long for scale. Maby no fuge is good, Says it likes excess nitrates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think you have any issues with lighting. I've kept them for long time (15+ yrs ago) under fl bulbs. Though did better or should i say they express themselves better under PC/VHO.
I do agree tank is not really mature but try give them INDIRECT, but suffient flow/movement of water around the corals. I Never target fed Gonio/Alveo, rather dosed by return pump/PH so food can be distributed thruout tank, also had tubastrea and other non-photo corals.

I am from old school, believes in Protein Skimmer (tried f/t and/or p/t) and water movement for most lps, softies and non-photo corals. Nitrates were not as important issue in lps tank. Well, as long as w/i reason. Although admit better lighting is highly recommended but your PC might do if placed near the top. DONT move them unnecessarily. If found a place where it is doing/expressing itself well, whereever it may be, leave it alone.
Having tried from Ozone system with Redox Controller to pH controller w/ CO2 System to Cal Reactor, etc, etc... But for simple small reef set up for most lps and softies, I dont find these high tech equipments necessary. I dosed as needed. I believe that that symbiotic algae do require some NO3 and PO4 for them to thrive which is relevant to coral's health and colorations, in general.
Just my opinion.

What size Tank do you have? and you say you have Compact lighting How much lighting do you have?

After few yrs out of hobby, just starting to get back. No reef set up yet. Trying to breed and raise locally caught seahorses. Its been more than 10+ yrs since raising Seahorses. i could not beieve the $ for seahorse nowdays. i guess we 've done enough damages on thier populations. I am glad that more and more are controlled thus somewhat promotes captive breeding whenever possible.
When had Reef, had numerous tanks. Had few 150 G tanks hooked up to homemade sump, etc.
When kept Gonio or other lps, softies, have kept them in shallow, 12" high with either Fl blbs/ PC/VHO depending what i was doing with the tank. Some were frag tanks for some lps, and some for softies, etc. Reason behind in many separated small system was that I am a firm believer of certain specific hormones produced by coral which can affect general health of other type of corals. Usually kept softies w/ softies and lps with lps.
When I left the hobby, fragging of sps was just starting out w/ somewhat average success. It was hard enough to find healthy pcs of wild SPS at that time and would not risk of fragging few hundred dollars pc of table top, for instace.
Used to frag what appear to be suffering from RTN thus it was not a total loss.

I am very glad to see most of sps are avail in frag from other members thru forums like this one. Cheaper and less damages done to ocean from collecting.

Hope your pc does well!

Put a grouper in. I am sure he will follow the rule!! lol!
I hope no one actually does it! lol!

Back
Top Bottom