Some Kind of Clam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drumlizardo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I had some Euphyllia that unfortunately got shredded by an emerald crab, but I left the skeleton in my tank afterward. A few weeks later, I noticed a section of the skeleton looked like it was "raised" a little bit--I thought it was flaking off or something and didn't pay too much attention. Now it's clear that something like a clam was growing out of the skeleton: So its shell is largely made up of the old Euphyllia skeleton! Is that how most clams start out? And, more importantly, what kind of clam might this be? And how the heck did it end up there (I have no other clams in my tank)?

Also, the skeleton got moved around a couple times while he was growing, so I'm not totally sure what part of the tank he'd really want to be in. Do you think I should keep him near the sand, or up high? And what kind of current and light? Should I keep him facing sideways, or tilt his mouth upward like a Tridacna? So many questions!

Thanks for any information, everyone!

James

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 115
I don't have much experience with clams but I do know they love calcium and high lighting!

Hi all,

I had some Euphyllia that unfortunately got shredded by an emerald crab, but I left the skeleton in my tank afterward. A few weeks later, I noticed a section of the skeleton looked like it was "raised" a little bit--I thought it was flaking off or something and didn't pay too much attention. Now it's clear that something like a clam was growing out of the skeleton: So its shell is largely made up of the old Euphyllia skeleton! Is that how most clams start out? And, more importantly, what kind of clam might this be? And how the heck did it end up there (I have no other clams in my tank)?

Also, the skeleton got moved around a couple times while he was growing, so I'm not totally sure what part of the tank he'd really want to be in. Do you think I should keep him near the sand, or up high? And what kind of current and light? Should I keep him facing sideways, or tilt his mouth upward like a Tridacna? So many questions!

Thanks for any information, everyone!

James

James:
It's probably more a type of oyster than clam as oysters tend more to attach to other items than clams or scallops.
As for positioning, I would put it back into the position it was when the Euphyllia was alive. It obviously liked that position. ;) Just make sure you have a good calcium level in the tank so that it can grow its shell as well as good water flow near it so that it can get food to filter through it.

There are many types of oysters and some are really exotic and pretty looking so hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised while this one grows.

Good luck (y)

An oyster??!! That now that's a cool thing to get for free!! :) Good luck with it!

Interesting to know I'm not the only one that had this happen. I got a torch coral and it was loaded with hitchhikers, barnacles (which were removed) some really pretty feather dusters, and a clam type creature that actually perfectly blends in to the skeleton when closed. The torch is still doing great too.

Back
Top Bottom