Some kind of worm??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinF

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon aquarium about 4 weeks old and the last several days I've seen this thing coming out of my sand. It has been in the same place. It's translucent white and as thick as a couple hair strands...no feathery stuff, just a smooth looking "tentacle." It comes out and "searches"....I've seen it at least an inch, maybe 1.5 inches long. Any idea what it is?

Attachments

• Tentacle.jpg
    Tentacle.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 172
Looks like a brittle star leg. I have dark ones in the rock and white ones in the sand.

Thanks for the feedback. Don't brittle star legs have little spikes coming from them? This is smooth. Also, there is just one that ever comes out and if it gets scared it retracts, but like I said I've seen it about 1.5 inches out. If it really is a brittle star, how big will it get? Will it get 8" or so in diameter like I see in my LFS?

Its not a bristle star its something else, I've been told before but forgot(my apologies )
I have a ton on my LR and some coming from the base of my rocks outta the sand.
They are harmless and they just collect things from the water.
Some type of spaghetti worm?
Sorry this pic isn't so great I'll take a pic later when the lights are on!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120926_033745.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120926_033745.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 114
I do not know the name either but I have them in my tank. Sometimes I see them coming out from the rock and picking up sand. It is a worm of some sort.

Yeah, they're harmless.
And they're hard as a mutha to find on the interwebs!
At least the sites I have visited, my LFS told me their fine and they haven't effected my 29g, so....
I'll post a pic later, some of mine are like almost 4"

Ok, cool! Thanks everyone. It's kind of neat to watch it come out and search around for food. I'm new at this....I love to sit and watch all the living organisms in my tank, ones that I didn't knowingly put there!

Back
Top Bottom