Some type of eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, I recently saw some stuff attatched ot the glass in my 10 gallon, it is on the front glass so I get a good bottom view of it.

They are little dots, maybe 1/2 millimeter across stuck to teh glass. They are not in a 'line' but in a path, i.e. not straight, but they follow each other by about 3/4 of an inch...so ther is 1, then 3/4 of an inch away is another, then 3/4 of an inch in about the same direction is another, and so on.

Each dot is sa single dot of something, kinda whitish looking, I didnt notice them till after th lgihts where off.

The tanks inhabitants are 7 hermits 1 green emerald crap, 1 misc mithrax crab, 1 bumblebee and 3 nessarius snails, at least one, maybe a few cerith snails, and the ones that look like sundials.

I noticed two of my nessarius snails either mating, or wrestling, and chase each other around the tank for about an hour...ok so it looked like one wnated to mate and the other was saying 'get away from me you creep!'

Not sure your nassarius where exhibiting breeding behavior but their eggs are pretty distinctive. Nassarius lay eggs in a clear dome. Ceriths lay theirs in ribbon trails. So, it doesn't sound to me like snail eggs. You say you only seen them after lights off, does that mean during daylight they are not there? Are they calcified or soft? Any chance they are spiral shaped?

Tehy are there in the day, I just didnt notice them until the lights whre off.

They feel kinda soft, and would be pretty easy to wipe of the glass. There is a thin clear area around each one which I guess is the material used to stick them to the glass.

I was way off base here. What I though was a white dot, I was looking at from about a foot away. Putting my eyeball on the glass, it is about 10 white spheres in the nucleus of this thing.

I think Fluff got it....I saw this in another post....Do they look like this:

Tehy dont have those white looking tentacles coming out from them. at least...not yet. it just looks lieka small catch of itty bitty white eggs with a small patch of clear stuff around them to protect em I guess

I could not get that link to come up.

oh and of course :p it comes up today. Yes, tehy look just like that , thanks Fluff. Do I need to do anything special? And is it ai good thing then that I have eggs after not even a week of having a cleaning crew?

They will become food. I believe if they are reproducing, that means they are happy and comfortable!

I agree. They are as far as I know, impossible to rear due to their platonic stage. I would agree also that your snails must be happy if they are reproducing. :)

Can you go on about about rearing them? What would predate tehm right now? My inverts are the nesarius snails, a camel shrimp, a green emerald crab, 2 Astraea snails, and some hermits. Fish is only 1 very small yellow clown goby......and now two tiny apatsia(sp?) I will be gettinga peppermint shrimp for when the LFS can spare some...tehy are keeping what they have to clear them out of hte tank that piece of live rock came out of.

In order to rear them, you (and this is just a guess) would have to move them into a tank, with nothing in it. From there, I couldn't even begin to tell you, but my guess would be, that if you scraped them off the sides, it would probably kill them.

ah ok. I have a firend with a75 he says he gets tons of baby nasssarius's, but they never seem to make it to adult size and he doenst know what is killin em...of course, he hasa large aged tank...large as far as I am concerned at least...

Yeah, eggs seem to be one of the lowest on the totem pole. I imagine just about anything in the tank will make them a snakc.

Back
Top Bottom