Something attacking my star fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ody

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had two star fish in my tank and 1 has been killed and the other I noticed and hour ago has been badly injured now two in the tank I have 3 hermit crabs 1 cleaner shrimp 3 turbo snails two clown fish and two amones and a yellow gobby I also have three small crabs that are in live rock any suggestions

I had two star fish in my tank and 1 has been killed and the other I noticed and hour ago has been badly injured now two in the tank I have 3 hermit crabs 1 cleaner shrimp 3 turbo snails two clown fish and two amones and a yellow gobby I also have three small crabs that are in live rock any suggestions

I'm thinking either the hermits or the crabs. :( Crabs are scavengers and if hungry will eat whatever they come across, and if that happens to be a star, so be it. Especially if the star was already ill and/or a very slow moving type of star.

Thought it mite be the hermit but I watch the tank closely atleast 2 hours straight daily and all seem to get on fine but a hairy crab in the live rock I haven't seen come out I suspect poor Patrick star my young son won't be happy and me

Who old is your tank and how long have you had the two stars?
Was there any signs of crab action on the deceased?

Had the stars bout 3 weeks and no never seen the crabs at the stars that why I find it strange and by the way nice scooter

I'm assuming the three small crabs in the rocks are hitchhikers since you're not stating the type they are. How long has your tank been set up? If there is insufficient algae to support the three crabs, when they get hungry enough, then they will eat whatever they can get a hold of. If they are hitchhikers, they could be any number of type of crab, and some would gladly snack on a starfish, especially if they're really hungry. Have you ever gotten a good look at these crabs? What color are they? Are they hairy? Any distinguishing characteristics?

Yes got alook at 2 but can't get a clear look at yhe 3 rd but what I can see yes it hairy and doesn't look nice at all but haven't seen him out and about but what I see he's scary looking

Yes got alook at 2 but can't get a clear look at yhe 3 rd but what I can see yes it hairy and doesn't look nice at all but haven't seen him out and about but what I see he's scary looking

Haha. They're all kinda scary looking. ;) lol. did you get a look at color? Green? Tan? Brown? Pinkish-red?

It's like a brown and tan colour and very hairy and what I can see its claws are pretty big and yes scary lol

Trap them. Use a baby food jar with a piece is shrimp or scallop in it and tilt it on its side in the sand close to the crabs holes. If hungry enough they will crawl in and usually they can't get back out. Cover with nylon tied with elastic band. Post a pic so we can help identify the little buggars. From the sounds of it they are xanthid crabs in which case get em out. They will eat whatever they can get ahold of. The jar method worked for me when I evicted my emerald for eating coral. He killed an entire head on my hammer. :(

Back
Top Bottom