something new?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait_Ls1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just moved my rocks 2 nights ago and found this little guy wedged inside this rock. I bought this set up the way it is and it's a few years old this way and a pretty stable set up. I've had it going on a month or so now and I have never seen any aiptasia in the tank. I honestly don't believe the lights are capable of having anemone in the tank. I have just mushrooms and some polyp grass. Is this aiptasia or some kind of anemone? please let me know and thankyou.
BOTTOM MIDDLE OF PICTURE...
vnfdya.jpg

I dont think its aiptasia, Them tentacles look a bit big for aiptasia. And aiptasia is usally brownish.
I could be mistaken, But just my 2 cents.

see I don't think it is either. I called my buddy and he said "ah, it might be aptasia". bc we both know my lights are not good enough for anemone and such. but maybe it could just happen.

i have all sorts coming out my LR, its really intresting and i have a unknown spices of a worm which i cant find at all in the lists of worms its purple and have a white colar, its very intresting what lives in live rock.It looks like it then it does to me just keep a eye on it just in case.

if it is the stuff at the lower left corner it looks like clonial hydroids ... will sting other corals and can reach plague porportions :D

its obviously not very big at all. I don't even think the previous owner knew it was there. None of us did. It's been hiding out very well obviously. Is he a danger to my clown fish or the "firetail" fish I have?

Like i said in your welcome thread i did not think it was apastia. I don't think it is a danger, especially since the other owner had it in his tank and nothing dissapeared. I would not worried about it, and as a experiment i would maybe turn the rock over and expose it to light and see if it grows or runs. If it deataches itself and runs it is a anenome and does not like the light.

Like i said in your welcome thread i did not think it was apastia. I don't think it is a danger, especially since the other owner had it in his tank and nothing dissapeared. I would not worried about it, and as a experiment i would maybe turn the rock over and expose it to light and see if it grows or runs. If it deataches itself and runs it is a anenome and does not like the light.

I was going to turn the rock around but the rock is right by the rock cover in mushrooms which is where the two clownfish and rabbit face fish hang out and I won't lie I'm sketchy of that rabbit face fish or what ever you call him.

Well if it will hender the light the coral will get then don't do it, i guess i would leave it and watch it and see what happened.

Well if it will hender the light the coral will get then don't do it, i guess i would leave it and watch it and see what happened.

I got two baby mushrooms growing on the rock with that thing. that its. the "anemone" is down on the inside of the rock..not even close to light at all. been watching it. so did we come down to a verdict of what it is?

I would say yes, sadie is right, a ball anenome. I looked it up on google and there is no mistaking it. I would do research on it but if it has been in the tank that whole time with no issue then i would say you are ok.

Alright cool. Well I figured I'd let you know that I moved the rock to where they are facing the front of the tank and my buddy noticed a second one way den inside of the rock. Their tentacle are every where inside that rock. Even if they aren't that long at all. So this ball anemone growing in my tank and making it this far is a good thing correct? And I won't have to worry about it? If it gets bigenough would my clownfish ever try to host it?

No, it is Pseudocorynactis and not a hostable anemone. The anemone could pose a threat to very small goby's, blenny's, or neighboring corals, but all in all they are a joy to have imo. Target feeding will cause them to reproduce more frequently.

couldn't find anything on them. How big could they possibly get. mine is so small. then It's down inside the rock so you can't really see it. but I did find out that they like to be at the bottom of the tank where there is less water movement.

Back
Top Bottom