something(s) on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
These things are so small that I don't think I could get a good pic of. I'll describe. They are as small a pinpoint, white, and all over glass. They look like stars if you look at them up close. What could they be? They are on all sides of glass.

Possibly beneficial pods, or small feather dusters. Can you brush them off?

They just started on my glass a couple of days ago and they are pods.

What type of pods? I was looking at them again and they look the brittle stars I have seen on my rock, but 10x smaller and they haven't moved. Each one has perfect round cirle and then I believe 5 legs coming out of circle. They don't move on glass.

I have a Kodak easyshare and when I have tried to take a pic, the camera focuses on the rock and anything in the background, so all you see is white spots. I think they are just too small get a proper focus. I'll just see what happens with them.

Are they clear or solid color, if solid, what color?
Does that camera have a macro setting, if so, use that.

Sounds like a harmless spirorbid feather duster worm. Is the white circle hard and made out of Calcium? If so, thats probably what they are.

They are filter feeders. Here is a Macro photo of one.

img_715595_0_dc93fa161bce65042c644ac260f51aa5.jpg

Here's another

img_715595_1_94e48a69d02c7c35bfc9dc495148dc9a.jpg

They are white. I don't have a macro setting on camera.

* This is what it looks like (asteriks mark) only its white and they are scattered all over glass.

OK...it's a hydroid.

img_715615_0_135f78e482cc559cd029b8287097d952.jpg

Just squoose them with your magnet if the population is too high.

try putting the lid to a butter tub or something similar behind them before you take the photo.

I agree they sound like some sort of filter feeding worm (even though they are hard, yes). They are a good sign. I used to get them all over my powerheads.

I also had hydroids in my tank. Fluff told me that they would most likely die off and they did within a week.

Back
Top Bottom