Somethjng eating my zoas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brd.ginter

Aquarium Advice Regular
So it's been bout three weeks and I've been noticing my Zoas have been depleting. It looks as if they are being eaten at the base then falling off the rock. The only thing that I've notice are little white bristle star looking starfish. I feel as if these guys are the problem. Has anyone else heard or have this problem before or know what it is?

It could either be sundial snails or nudibranchs. The snails have to be manually removed. The nudibranchs can be treated with a dip like coralrx.

Google a picture of zoa eating nudibranch and see if you can spot them in the tank.. There the most common cause and can be a pain removing and act quick as they reproduce by the day on large colonys of zoas

They are a pest can come on the zoas when purchased but you dont always know as there are so little but as said above they can reproduce rapidly on good food source ie a nice juicy colony of zoas

I had a problem last year and wipes teo whole colonys now they are under controll and i now have a few frags which i managed to keep in my other tank and put them back in main dt to grow

These are the little starfish I've been finding everywhere around my Zoas. I've looked and looked for some other kind of pests but I have yet to find the source of the problem

Attachments

• image-854202932.jpg
    image-854202932.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 127
As u can see.... What ever it is, it's destroying my colonies of Zoas.

Attachments

• image-939968935.jpg
    image-939968935.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 125
  • image-4221373621.jpg
    image-4221373621.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 134
  • image-1694552578.jpg
    image-1694552578.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 135
I don't think the S.Stars will destroy your Zoas. I believe the main cause come from Nudibrunch or Snails.

Fresh water Dips will help kill Nudi. And always dip everything that you purchase from any LFS. I had my lesson learned.

There is also the fact that sometimes there may be another factor at play. Water parameters, lights, a fish that happens to like zoas. I have two colonies of zoanthids that are the same genus, but appear to be a slightly different species. They are six inches apart. One colony is slowly melting away while the other is growing great. Same water, same light who knows why the difference.

It's not the starfish. If they are all over the zoas, they simply smell the dying tissue and are "cleaning up" the mess. Those would never eat healthy coral.

Water is fine lights are fine. I have lots of other coral In my tank that are doing great. It's jus my Zoas. As far as fish goes I have 2 clowns, salfin, manderian and a Six line. I have seen my salfin nip at the Zoas but I think he's eating stuff between the Zoas. I did notice that my emerald crab was eating some of the dead Zoas as well. As far as nudis or snails, I have yet to see any. I'm jus glad there not on More expensive colonies! But I do need to find the problem.

Nudibranches are very hard to see. They take on the color of what they are eating in some cases. I would dip the colony in coral RX and see what falls off.

Deal, getting that stuff tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice everyone

Like how hard to see ate you talking? I've ha a good couple hours of straight looking for anything out of the ordinary, and I haven't seen anything but those star fish. Even at night. And if I'm not mistaking the bad guys stick around the colony when destroying it??

Back
Top Bottom