Sponge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lali

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I got a tiny sponge within one of those algae that help with nitrites. It was supposed to die, bu didn't and have been growing a lot for a year or so. Do anyone know what kind of sponge it is?, is it safe? If it is, how could I handle it to relocate it to a better place??
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426469081.293096.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There aren't any sponges that will be harmful to your reef. They are simple filter feeders. If it was me, I'd leave it be if it is there and spreading. It is a pretty sponge compared to others an I wouldn't want to harm it.

+1 with regards to it being reef safe :) and it would be better not to move it, if possible. It's a gorgeous sponge, treasure it!

From the looks of it, it may be what researchers are calling the "Picasso sponge" due to it's odd but beautiful shape. It's actually an unknown variety, according to the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute. Check out this link: http://www.mbari.org/news/news_releases/2006/davidson-newimages-hires.html
Though a bit outdated, this was the only website I could find. I guess marine biologists put sponge research pretty low on the priority list >.<

Ps. Scroll down about halfway through the page in that link I sent you. There are two yellow sponges, but the first one looks the most similar to yours.

That is a beautiful sponge. I agree, i would leave it there. Moving it could cause it to die.

Thanks a lot. I'll take your advice and leave it right there. I've been googling in the morning and think it's a "yellow network sponge" (clayhrina clathrus), mainly because of the tubes that visibly sprout out

Back
Top Bottom