Sponge? Type?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhouck

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Got this on a rock. It's about the size of a quarter. It seems to have 'shed' an outer layer yesterday (white debris in pics). Then, it opened, as pictured. Blew off some debris and it immediately closed (less than a second).

LFS said it was a type of sponge, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

30g Eclipse (2 months)
35 lb LR
2 clowns
1 diamond goby
1 cleaner shrimp
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 ish
Ph 8.4
Temp 79

Attachments

• IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 49
They are zoanthids or button polyps polyps They need moderate flow so that debris does not irritate the mat or the polyps them selfs . They are an easy care coral that dont require alot and do not need direct feedings :)

More Pics: palythoa?

Here are a couple of more shots taken after lights out!

My guess: palythoa sp

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 50
Te second pics is either a sponge or a leather either way they will take what they need from the water column ... They also require mod flow so algea doesnt take over ... :)

But the problem is... those are pics of the same thing, just from a different angle and with the lights out! (I've seen this post elsewhere, with a little different info!)

I originally thought polyps too, but those photos after the lights go out are NOT polyps! Looks like whatever it is is encrusting the entire rock, or is a massive piece. And the openings of the "polyps" have almost completely closed up!

Am I correct dhouck?.... are those pictures of the same piece?

I agree they are not polyps in the latter pics however they look like 2 diffrent pices entirly :) The surrounding areas are not the same
Dhouck please clairify if this is of the same thing the only other thing I can think of is a pagoda cup

It's the same piece

Second pics are after lights out. You're right, though. I rotated the rock, so you are seeing a different angle

One last pic

I'm not too good with the photography but I think this pic is a little better.

Attachments

• IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 42
OK... those are definitely polyps. Probably some type of palythoas? Definitely not a sponge though. Weird base they're on though. Think you probably made a nice little find there! Be sure to wear gloves when handling it, as I think you've heard from other places! Just wanted to second that advice.

Back
Top Bottom