Sponge with Tentacles on Coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerulean_blue

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have some weird sponge looking growth on some of my corals. Whenever there is debris floating in the aquarium, such as when I do water changes, they shoot out some very thin tentacles. Here are some pictures without the tentacles, any idea what they are and are they bad? The corals don't seem to mind.
HPx1z.jpg
EkyEi.jpg
Ge0Nd.jpg
eyhps.jpg

Google vermetid snails and spoinid worms. See if they're those.

Thanks! Seems like a vermetid snail. From what I read best method to control population is through minimal feeding and water changes. Both of which I already do. I only have about 6 of them in my tank and I read you can remove them like you would remove aiptasias. Lemon juice and a needle

cerulean_blue said:
Thanks! Seems like a vermetid snail. From what I read best method to control population is through minimal feeding and water changes. Both of which I already do. I only have about 6 of them in my tank and I read you can remove them like you would remove aiptasias. Lemon juice and a needle

No need to really remove them. They don't cause any harm at all, and usually don't last in one spot for very long. I have them pop up from time to time in different spots in my tank, and they're usually only there for a few days. If anything, they're more beneficial to a tank than harmful as they will pull out uneaten food and particles from the water. Only reason to remove them would be because they might be an eyesore. I'd personally wait it out and see if they do any harm to ur corals, if not, I'd let them be. Your call tho. Just my $.02

Back
Top Bottom