Strange Anemone on LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clearerphish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found this anenome on my LR and it's been in the same place for months, so I think it's cool. It has an orange tubiferous body and colorless tentacles with pink tips (think frogspawn or torch coral) Here are some terrible pics:

3972176380_d00ef72ee0.jpg

3972176996_2a70ebdfb6.jpg

Whatever it is, it's a very slow grower.

I wish I could tell you what it is. I have a few of them myself, so I'm very interested in this thread. I'm really hoping it's not a pest anemone because I recently got rid of all my apatasia with Joe's Juice and I don't want to have to deal with another pest, lol.

its not aiptasia, I have one on my liverock, but different color.
don't know if they r bad, but so far mine doesn't spread or harm my inverts

Man, I've been searching the internet for quite awhile looking for this thing since I have a few in my tank. There must literally be hundreds, if not thousands of LR hitchhiker species out there.

The couple that I have in the tank don't seem to bother anyone and they don't seem to spread, but I've only had my tank up and running for a short time.

I think Innovator nailed it. I had two, one that is clear blue with pink tentacles. About the size of an eraser head. Both are really cool.

I'm sorry that I'm asking questions on your thread clearerphish. I'm wondering, are these considered good or bad for a reef aquarium?

They can be seen as either or, depending on your personal perspective. They are often called orange-ball anemone because of the ball shaped tips at the end of each tentacle, but the tips may also be white. They are a cryptic corallimorph within the Indo-Pacific and Caribbean regions that reproduce quite readily, but will require feedings of meaty fare such as mysis, krill, or chopped shrimp, marine fish, squid, etc. Most seem to grow flat against the rockwork, but Indo-Pacific "colonies" can grow rather large and plausible enough to ensnare small fish and sting surrounding corals upon contact; Even though their tentacles are very sticky (nematocyst firing) I have yet to have any problems with small fish being ensnared. They are a definite favorite of mine! :)

Thanks, it hasn't acted up or anything, but I have a few so they aren't afraid to spread, and I wanted to make sure I didn't have to kill them before they started popping up everywhere. thanks! I like it too, and spend a lot of time looking at it.

Back
Top Bottom