Strange Black "Marbles"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solerasalon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About two months ago, I noticed three new growths on the rock very near my lighting. They are three shiny black balls which look a lot like marbles. They range in size from about the size of a marlbe to the size of a small superball. They are fairly hard to the touch, but attached to the rock by a softer "appendage"for lack of a better word. What on Earth are these. Do they contain a toxin?

Thanks!

Todd

Are you sure they aren't dark green. They could be Valonia bubble algae. Look in the ID pictures at the top of the ID forum for a pic. Otherwise, a pic of the suspicious marbles would be helpful.

yeah thats probibly bubble algae. nasty stuff. from what I heard if you try to phisically remove it, it just spreads. there is some sort of solution that you can spray on it but I dont know what it is.

Try to remove as many as you can without popping them. Then go to your lfs and ask them for a Mithrax sculptis crab. They are sometimes known as a green emerald crab and a couple should take care of your problem. here is a link so you can see a pic:
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=23&pCatId=628&TopCatId=501

If the LFS has ones that look like that but are red STAY AWAY. They are mithrax rosacious, and they will get HUGE. They can attack fish easily. So green crab means go :D .

Back
Top Bottom