Strange creature in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purleegates

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Today I discovered an interesting creature living on the shell of a dead turbo snail in the tank. The shell has been in the tank for a number of months and has a small red featherduster living on it, so I kept it in there. It also appeared to have, what I thought, was the tube of another feather duster that was rather large, but dead. It has always seemed empty, but today I discovered there is a creature living inside of it, that looks somewhat like a snail, accept it is not a snail. I don't know where to look to identify it, but I am concerned by its presence because it was living in close proximity to my sebae and these filaments began to form out of no-where in the water and the thing would eat them. Though the filaments didn't seem to interact with the sebae, I moved the shell to a new location. Does anyone have any idea what this creature could be, or maybe if it had anything to do with the death of the snail in first place, that happened so long ago? Just curious and somewhat concerned

Like a snail underneath a piece of shell? Chunk it. I had one of those parasites sucking on one of my mexican turbo's shell.... can't remember exactly what it was, just remember that it is not supposed to be beneficial.

Actually it is inside a separate tube that is attached to the shell. It's not actually living inside the shell, and as I said before the tube has been on the shell for quite some time and was empty. It's really strange.

Could be maybe a spaghetti worm has taken up residence in the empty tube, or perhaps you have a vermetid gastropod. Either way, they are not harmful. Any chance of getting a picture?

I looked it up and I think you're right about it being one of those vermetid gastropods. It is spinning a mucous net out into the water and then consuming it. Are there any care tips for it? Right now I don't add any plankton to the water, and the sites I looked at say it eats plankton, and I have tons of other inverts on the live rock in my aquarium, but they seem to do fine without my feeding them. Also on the picture thing, I don't have a digital, so I can't post any pictures. But thank you for the info. It helped a lot.

I wouldn't worry about feeding it. As long as your feeding the tank and doing regular water changes, it should be fine. Chances are, there are many more of them you haven't found yet. :wink:

can the vermetid gastropods eat featherdusters, small fish and shrimp if they get caught in their web, and what kills them? I apparently have a lot =(

Back
Top Bottom