Strange Predator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiffyCat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Something that looks like a shrimp just jetted out of my live rock, grabbed a small hermit crab (shell and all) and darted back into the live rock. I've been trying to get a piture of this thing, but it's never out when I have my camera.

It's about 1.5 to 2 inches long and looks similar to my cleaner shrimp, but without any of the long antennas. It's a clear green color, though the green may be related to the algae bloom in my tank right now. When I first saw the creature I though it looked like a hermit crab without a shell. It stays hidden in the various crevices of the live rock almost all the time.

If I do manage to get a picture I'll post it

i've actually hooked those things while fishing with artificial lures...they're ferocious :?

Thanks--I've been doing research online and it seems like the best way to get rid of it is to find it's rock home & flush it out with fresh water.

Anyone have any advice on the best way to find which rock it lives in (I fear it may have more than one favorite) and what to do or not do about it?

again, thanks

I would flush it out with some tank water or even seltzer water with the correct salinity. They say the unsweetend carbonated water will get the mantis to JUMP from the rock quickly. Just remember to bring up the salinity or it may destroy the beneficial bacteria and other life on the rock.

Back
Top Bottom