success rate of the shrimp-in-a-glass technique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I was staring into my tank....again :) and I noticed a small crab in one corner. I have some emerald crabs in there but I didn't remember having one that small. Then I noticed the red eyes. Seems that I have red-eye reef crab that I didn't know that I had. It would explain the two snails that seemed to have died right there in the corner.

What kind of luck have you guys had with the glass as a trap? I'm going to give it a go this evening, but don't want to use a glass that's too big or else my clowns will take the bait. They follow my hands all over the tank. Hands=food

There's no way to get the rock out of the tank, so I'm wondering what kind of success rate you guys have had with this technique. If I can get him he's going right into the sump. With the rate that the chaeto's growing there won't be much room for him there either.

Ha! I'm smarter than a crab the size of my fingernail!!! :)

I didn't think that I was going to get him. I put a small piece of shrimp in the glass near his rock and leaned the glass against the rock. About two minutes later all the nassarius snails started cruzing around the glass. A couple got in the glass and I thought that it would be a failed attempt since the snails would eat everything.

All the snails but one left and there were still some small pieces of shrimp in there.....and the crab.

He's been moved to the sump. Here are two shots of him. He's about 7mm across.

Now I've got a second one to catch. I haven't seen much of the other one as it stays in a small hole and all I've seen is a tiny white claw and some white and black legs.

Attachments

• redcrab1.jpg
    redcrab1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 52
  • redcrab2.jpg
    redcrab2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 51
It was very nice that it worked. He's somewhere in the sump now. I saw two different pictures when I was trying to figure out what kind of crab that he is. There so many types, and some are so similar, that it's hard to find out exactly. One that looked similar said that it would have a taste for snails and soft corals, which would explain the three newly "empty" shells that were found near his hideout.

If anyone could give a positive ID on this guy I would appreciate it. The shots aren't great, but he's small. Those are krill legs he's munching on in the first shot.

well done and good luck catching the next 1 hope u get the next 1 out , my peppermint shrimp use to tip over my turbo snails over and eat them lol , got him yet?

Back
Top Bottom