Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Saw this guy at the LFS. I looked up what they said it was and got a totally different fish haha. Any ideas? thanks guys

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445023954.417268.jpg

Totally a tomini. One of the few 'smaller' tank tangs like the kole and bristletooth. 75 gallon and up for these guys and lots of nori to help lower aggression.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

$230 for that birdsnest!!!! Holy moly...I can't give mine away fast enough

Thank you! I saw it and immediately liked it. I wonder if it will do ok with a yellow?

The guy kinda seemed new to me so I'm not holding it against him. Especially sense I didn't know either but he said it was a Scopas Tang. A price wasn't listed either...when I asked he was like "uhh idk but it's probably like $150"

The guy kinda seemed new to me so I'm not holding it against him. Especially sense I didn't know either but he said it was a Scopas Tang. A price wasn't listed either...when I asked he was like "uhh idk but it's probably like $150"

I got ya. Being new however, should not be a viable excuse for lack of knowledge if you are a sales person. I've been one ( a sale's person that is ;) ) and know your customers depend on your knowledge so being wrong is a bad thing. Just sayin'. ;) :whistle:
Here's some things to keep in mind the next time you go to that store: The identification was way off. Not the right colors or body shape or tank mate compatibility. That and the price for a Scopas he quoted you was over $100.00 off what a "normal" or average price of a Scopas should be. You may want to bring that up to the store's manager. He/she might like to know that happened. (y)

I love learning from Andy!!!
He hasn't even said Tomini yet!
I think it is a tomini.
But back to Andy....
Good call on asking what the sales guy/gal said.
Without looking on net and running through my 50 year old 'knowledge base' I actually thought of scopas first and quickly dismissed .
Like Andy said "way off".

Yeah definitely I agree.

I was already out the door and already bought what I wanted when I saw this fish. I will always do my own research/ask here before I make fish purchases. LFS employees in the 4 stores I go to usually aren't much help for anything.

Tominis usually go for $40-50 depending on size around me. It is definitely a tomini though. No mistaking those orange fins

I love learning from Andy!!!
He hasn't even said Tomini yet!
I think it is a tomini.
But back to Andy....
Good call on asking what the sales guy/gal said.
Without looking on net and running through my 50 year old 'knowledge base' I actually thought of scopas first and quickly dismissed .
Like Andy said "way off".

Thank you? :lol: I mean, Thank you! :D
Tominis weren't all that available or popular when I stopped selling SW fish but I would definitely say it was one. But even if I was wrong, I definitely know that it is not a Scopas as I have sold hundreds of them of all sizes and color forms and THAT ain't a Scopas. ;):lol: I could have accepted a "transitioning Chevron Tang" because of the orange but that too would have been wrong but at least the right body shape, almost. (y)

But not to rant on, back in my day, in order to be able to be a livestock salesperson in a pet shop, you had to know what you were selling. Having worked in a number of retail Pet shops in my career, EVERY ONE of them wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing before they would let me even talk to a customer. Then I turned 18 or 19 and shocked most of the owners by how much more I knew about fish than they did. :lol: ( Not patting my own back anymore. ;) ) It shows the degradation of the business today that someone with no knowledge is the "face" of the company for their customers. I'm just sayin' :whistle:
I'm done ranting and will get off my soapbox now. ;):whistle: (y)

This is my scopas tang. Big difference. It`s really messed up because there is a big difference between the two esp. tank size.

6218-albums6891-picture30356.jpg

And I've had some Scopas come in so dark that they could be confused with a Black Tang. ( The difference is in the snout in that case. ) I've had Blacks the size of a U.S. quarter and still can tell the difference between them and a Scopas. ;) )

Hard to tell as it's to dark but looking at the shape I'm leaning towards a chevron tang

that scopas looks just like mine only thing I don't like is he gets mean at feeding

Back
Top Bottom