Tank has starting to look nasty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooltop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tank has been up for almsot 2 years now.

3 fish clown, Blennie, Wrassie

72 gallon bow

monthly 10g water changes

Attachments

• rock1.jpg
    rock1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 77
  • rock2.jpg
    rock2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 67
Would be helpful to know what the water readings are. Particularly nitrate and phosphate. And how long are the lights on?

Will likely need larger water changes more often to get it back together.

Agree with the info Austinsdad asked for... as well as what you have in there for a clean-up crew (snails, crabs, etc).

Also agree that more frequent water changes will help get things back - something on the order of 10% per week, at a minimum.

So far we know you have a 72 gallon tank with 3 fish and you do about a 10% per month PWC.
So now for the questons:
What type of filtration are you using?
What is the substrate?
How much LR do you have?
How much water movement do you have?
What type of lights and wattage?
How long are the lights on each day?
What type of water do you use for top off (RODI/Tap)?
What type of water do you use for the PWC?
What do you feed the fish?
How often do you feed and what do you feed?
What does your clean up crew consist of?
Are you using any supplements? If so, what, what dosage, how often?
What has changed in the past 6 months?
What are the water readings for
Temp
SG
pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphate
Calcium
Alk
Magnesium
Please give actual numbers for those items you have a test kit for.

Then we can try to help

So far we know you have a 72 gallon tank with 3 fish and you do about a 10% per month PWC.
So now for the questons:
What type of filtration are you using?

20 Gallon Sump

What is the substrate?
LS 100lbs

How much LR do you have?

67 LBS

How much water movement do you have?

2 Kori (3)
What type of lights and wattage?
Nova Extrem Pro

How long are the lights on each day?

5 Hours

What type of water do you use for top off (RODI/Tap)?

RODI

What type of water do you use for the PWC?

RODI/Reef Crystals

What do you feed the fish?

Flak food/ Frozen

How often do you feed and what do you feed?

every other day

What does your clean up crew consist of?

40 Hermit crabs

Are you using any supplements? If so, what, what dosage, how often?

none

What has changed in the past 6 months?

Nothing

What are the water readings for
Temp 78
SG 2.25
pH 7.5
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
Phosphate
Calcium
Alk
Magnesium
Please give actual numbers for those items you have a test kit for.

Then we can try to help

You can follow my build to see exact equipment here

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/new-72-gallon-bow-front-108328.html

Only thing changed is a new Octopus Skimmer 100

Only thing that jumps out at me (other than low pH) is the lack of snails. Doesn't sound like you have any corals, so I'd dump at least a half dozen big Turbo Snails in there to munch away on that stuff. Turbos have a tendency to bulldoze and knock corals around, but if it's just FOWLR, then go for it!

I bet if you increased the frequency of water changes to something like 20% every 2 weeks, your pH levels would get back up into a better range - in addition to helping decrease whatever is feeding the algae.

Also please recheck the SG reading you posted. It should be 1.018 - 1.023 for a FOWLR.
Your pH is low too. It should be at 8.0 to 8.3
What time of day is that taken and how long before lights on/off?
Please take a new reading just before lights out and post that.

Some Mexican turbo snails may help. Are you rinsing the frozen food wit RODI water before adding to the tank? Frozen is usually a source of phosphates.

Flake food and frozen (brine and mysis) without being rinsed are my prime suspects for phosphates and that growth. Never did provide the phosphate reading, so I'm thinking it could be the problem.

Last edited:
+1 for Ray on the PO4 being a culprit.
You may want to take a water sample to the lfs and have them run the tests you don't have and check the other results for you.

Yes I have Corals or atleast 1 left that is doing good. That was post to be a 1.25 on SG. I just dont know where that much PO4 would be coming from wich I have problems with my SUMP gettign nasty looking to. Mabey its the lack of LR

Did you understand what I was saying about the food you're using?

Just wonderin since you still say you "don't know where that much PO4 is coming from".

yeah i understand but its every 4 days with the frozen food and only a toothpick size of food.

Also trying to figure out how to rinse it doesnt look like anything would be left once I put wat on it

No its flake food in between the frozen. Ex flake skip a day then frozne then skip a day flake..... I can not rember what kind it is but there little frozen cubes of shrimp. Mabey a recomndation of what kind of food I can change to ?

Shrimp will not melt away when rinsed. Get a small net and add a few cubes of the brine and/or myisis shrimp. Rinse it with fresh water. Dump it in a small tupperware container or ziplock bag. Get either some nori sheets and break them into very samll pieces or get some Formula 2 frozen vegatable food - hopefully the kind withOUT gel added. That's ususally the bag, not the cube version. Your fish don't need just meat. They do will with meat and veggie matter.

After all the food is mixed together, get some Zoe and Garlic Guard and add a few drops to the food mixture. Garlic boosts the immune system and Zoe is a vitamin. I think Selcon is another. Look them up.

Last edited:
Also trying to figure out how to rinse it doesnt look like anything would be left once I put wat on it

A cheap efficient way to rinse your food is to get an old container (like a small cup), cut the bottom out, then take a coffee filter and put it in using a rubberband to hold it in place. Drop the cube inside the filter, rinse and viola, your golden.

Back
Top Bottom