tank mafia, help ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keysfishfinder

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have these 2 fish that are being very aggressive, I know one is a wrasse but the other (neon blue lines) is unknown. Anything I put in our new (first) tank (bought tank, fish, water, and all live rock sand 10 days ago) they eat or kill. These fish came with the tank along with a couple small grunts. They destroyed 3 damsels, and a bunch of snails. We also lost a sand sifter starfish and the Aero crab was dead this morning. :confused:

thanks for any ideas or help

Attachments

• IMG_4309.JPG
    IMG_4309.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4310.jpg
    IMG_4310.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4311.jpg
    IMG_4311.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 63
My first thought is some type of hogfish but I'm not sure. I'll do some searching and see what I can find. What are the size of these fish?

each fish is about 4-5" (long fish) grunts are smaller say 3". It was an established tank when we bought it, we saved 60% of the water during the relocation.. Had water tested at local fish store said tank is in good shape water wise.

Well, I was browsing fishbase to see if I could find your fish but the site went down on me. I'm stumped as to what they are. The one on the bottom reminds me of a cortez wrasse but not nearly colorful enough. The other one I couldn't even venture a guess. Sorry. Hopefully someone else will be able to help ID them for you. In the meantime, when fishbase comes back up, I'll keep looking.

10 days missing, presumed dead? Of course not, magically the sand sifter starfish showed up yesterday morning. Then as quickly as he showed himself he disappeared again.

Still no idea on the violent mafia fish, they seem to act like a gang. One gets the others all wound up and then they become this killing machine.

Thanks

good point, I was going to try moving them to a holding tank. Introducing the new fish then trying to put the agressives back in? Does anyone recommend this. It is odd the 2 small fish (blue/black angel and cardinal part of the original 7) are just fine they don't even get looked at funny.

thanks again for the help so far.

That might work. Keep them out for about a week.

Depends on how long you want to keep buying feeder fish..

Is one of them a basslet? Sure looks like someone in the seabass or grouper family

The wrasse is a slippery dick (Halichoeres bivittatus), and will eventually grow to about 8 inches. The blue-striped fish is a type of basslet (Serranidae); it's a sand bass (Diplectrum formosum), growing to around 12 inches. It's a shame they are too aggressive with the fish you have, as they will eventually turn into quite spectacular fish (particularly the sand bass).

Tony

Oops, I meant to say "sand perch" not "sand bass"! The scientific name is correct though - and a much better name to search on if you want to learn more about the species. I personally dislike the use of common names - or far worse acronyms based on them (Would anyone know what I meant if I said "Oops, I meant to say SP not SB"?!) - as they do not travel well, not even over short distances. I am astounded by some of the misleading common names used by aquarium shops in particular. I have no idea how a hobbyist is supposed to find out more about a species when all they have to work with are names that seem to have been made up either by the store manager or the supplier.

Tony

Good Call Tony. It had the body shape the colors just seemed flushed.

have to save that one for my 'Adults Only' tank :shocked!:

you guys ROCK !! I appreciate all the help.

I want to add a bunch of blue-leg hermits this weekend. We are going to collect them on Sunday.

good point, I was going to try moving them to a holding tank. Introducing the new fish then trying to put the agressives back in? Does anyone recommend this. It is odd the 2 small fish (blue/black angel and cardinal part of the original 7) are just fine they don't even get looked at funny.

thanks again for the help so far.

I wouldn't put them back in once you introduce new fish they might attack your new fish and you went and spend money for no reason.... I would just take them in and try to sell them to your LFS.... Especially if they are aggressive towards friendly fish.....:)

Back
Top Bottom