Tank Update, help, ID, and with pics.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snails and hermits have been on my to-get list, but I would like to make sure this gets under control (no telling WHAT is next now) before I get some.
Serpent star is on that list as well.

RO/DI I may reconsider, but there is really no place in here to keep one that has both water intake and somewhere to drain it out at.

The chart goes up a ways, going off my head maybe to .5 or so.

And that is not how the chart looks. In between the 0 and the .1 there are no dashes, I just drew up that line thing to show you about where the color would fall on a chart like that.

Snails and hermits have been on my to-get list,
Good.
gets under control (no telling WHAT is next now) before I get some.
Good idea-forgot to mention that. Get ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. Go to a LFS if you have to.
And that is not how the chart looks. In between the 0 and the .1 there are no dashes
It's junk. Throw it out. Replace it with a better brand. Honestly you really have NO idea what the PO4 amount is if your "guess-timating" that much. Go to your LFS or online NOW!!!
I may reconsider, but there is really no place in here to keep one that has both water intake and somewhere to drain it out at.
Frankly-figure it out. It's not too complicated. You can add an adapter to your sink. It screws on just like the airater(sp?). No need to plumb it into the faucet, it's very simple. As long as your source water has PO4 you will have this problem. I had a cyano problem early this year and I beat it. Follow the steps I pointed out. If your not willing to do these things you will be out of the hobby soon, as well as you should be, because of your failings.

But I cannot tie up the sink with the RO Unit.

Well water is outside, dont want it sitting outside.

City water outside as well, dont want it sitting outside.

Only options I have unless its going to be outside is inside somewhere, and then that goes back to the no place to drain/intake problem.

If I could figure out a way to put RO in here somewhere I would reconsider. But I really dont have a way to stick a RO unit anywhere around here.

But I cannot tie up the sink with the RO Unit.
That is why I make mine at night. Find a LFS, walmart, etc. that sells RO/DI water.

Look- here's the bottom line. This hobby is not for everyone. It's not something you can sit on your "..." and be successful at. Give the anemones/coral to a fellow reefer or LFS if your not up to the task. I'm thinking you may have jumped the gun a bit w/ your tank and now you are a bit overwhelmed...

Zac answer some questions for me please...I gave you some advise and even said that I would help you get started on the right foot. Did you ever buy a book or books on reef keeping that explains about it? Read, read, read and read some more. Most of the books that I have explain what everything is in your tank...bad to good. Seems like every forum you get on you do the same thing, no wonder people take to you the way you express yourself. Either buy a book and decide on your own or take what people offer you and try it. Where do you get your water from a well??? You can not get accurate readings with cheap test kits. Color matching is not a good way to do things with test kits....before you say it I don't know if you have one or not...just a little knowledge that I have picked up in the years that I have kept a reef. I've tried to figure where you are coming from since I work with the public and youth. You are either very immature adult or a teen ager who just likes to cause grief on boards. Don't you think that it is a little strange that your posts on any forum usually go on for some time (not because it is a so informative after the first 2 posts in it) but because you like to tell people that you did not say that or some lame excuse to carry the post on. For me This is my last post to you...gave you a chance to prove yourself and you failed. Seen this out of you time and time again. Steve

The leather is looking better, actually. Almost opened up today.

Do you have a clothes washing machine? You can get an adaptor that will allow you to T off the cold water line and not effect the washer in any way. There is a drain behind the washer so that is easy as well.

I got cyano with Kroger RO water. My own RO/DI was needed. If the corals have any cyano on them it is not good. Get it off. Blow it off with a turkey baster or use your hand. I assume when you do water changes you are removing some of that cyano?

The corals dont have any cyano on them that I can tell (The zoos are brown though so its hard for me to tell) But the leather does not have any on it anymore.

The leather almost opened yesterday, so it might open today.

I think it might need another dose of Chemi Clean, as it looks like the cyano is growing a bit more. Should I do a PWC today after the initial dose? Or after It starts getting better?

I for one who has been following this thread have learned a lot, and I thank you all very much. I, too, have cyano. I've been putting together an order from Drs. Foster and Smith, and I'm switching the test kits from Hagen to Seachem. Also realizing lately that my clean-up crew is diminishing, will have to re-stock! I will be buying an RO/DI. Maybe it can be installed under the sink? Fairly decent space there.

So, I do not intend to hijack this thread, but if any of you who've been giving all this good advice are still listening, here's a Big Thank You! :)

Its not better at all.

Wed I got most of the algea off (what i could get, mostly just the stuff on the sand, it wont come off the rocks too well)
Its grown back.

Not done any water changes since Wed (I added ChemiClean Wed as well) to keep phosphates out for SURE.

Today I dosed again, not looking better.

So eliminated Phosphates, put in a temporary (suposedly) fix chemical, got rid of the majority, basically tried everything you guys have suggested now. Its not getting better!

Man if this does not get better I may just have to go to FW or something, this looks BAD!

Back
Top Bottom