Tentacle and crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bromion

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I have a question about two tank items, neither of which I have a picture of, but can describe well.

The first are long, thin, white transluscent tentacles. There are a few of them (but not in groups) throughout the tank, attached to the LR, the longest of which is about 2". They are very thin, <1mm, with little bristles (cilia?) along the length.

The other is some sort of crab, lobster, or shrimp. It is also very small, since it is living inside a hole in the LR that is about 1/4-in diameter. It peeks out very infrequently to catch isopods or other small foods that pass by the opening, then retreats quickly into the hole. After study with a flashlight, I have found that it has one claw on its left-hand side, none on the other side. It has antennae on its head and unremarkable eyes. Toward the back, it has a transluscent dark-striped extension/tail. From toe to tip it's maybe 1/2-in maximum.

Could this be a juvenile mantis shrimp? Or something else completely?

Thanks in advance!
Jason

The tentical is a small rock dwelling bristleworm. You may never see more of it then the tentical. The other critter sounds like a pistol shrimp. Both are nice additions.

Pistol shrimp... that would also explain the occasional clicking sounds I hear coming from the tank! Are they loud enough to be heard over the pumps, fans, and water flow?

Back
Top Bottom