This coral is covering everything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlopNewsom

Aquarium Advice Freak
This coral is spreading everywhere. Can someone tell me what it is and how to get it off my live rock? It doesn't peel off very well. I've tried that. It's the kind of pinkish tan carpet looking stuff.

Attachments

• image-3024946744.jpg
    image-3024946744.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 232
It is definitely xenia. Very fast growing soft coral. To remove it, I would remove the rock and scrub it with a scrub brush or just boil the whole rock to kill everything on it.

If that's Xenia then it's the tiniest Xenia I've ever seen. I'm not sure what it is I can't make out the structure of the polyps. It looks like it forms a mat between them from what I can make out as well. Xenia looks kind of like stalks of cauliflower that have bloomed.

Could definitely be one of the less showy star polyps. They are mat forming, and can be a nuisance. I'm afraid a pulsing Xenia would actually be easier to get rid of, or at least control.

It IS like a mat. When the light is off it looks like a plastic covering. When the lights come on, it has feathery polyps.

We should be so lucky to have lobo running amuck and trying to take over the tank.

If it retracts to a leathery mat at night or when you disturb it then you are dealing with some type of star polyp. There are many kinds, and the color can be pretty variable. They can be the devil to get rid of because when you try to pull the mat off the rocks tiny pieces break up and float around your tank to spring up elsewhere. That's probably what happened in the first place.

I found 3 that hitchhiked in with my rock
this is one of the nicer ones I found
img_2438099_0_144c8237a33bfc51227d6086804cd27b.jpg

I've had a ton of crazy hitchhikers over the years, but never anything as nice as that.

We should be so lucky to have lobo running amuck and trying to take over the tank.

If it retracts to a leathery mat at night or when you disturb it then you are dealing with some type of star polyp. There are many kinds, and the color can be pretty variable. They can be the devil to get rid of because when you try to pull the mat off the rocks tiny pieces break up and float around your tank to spring up elsewhere. That's probably what happened in the first place.

Well that's what it is then. It will grow and cover anything in its path. Some rocks it is on are isolated but one of my main display rocks has it and I've got to get it off before it covers and kills everything in my tank.

I think the mat is star polyps. They do grow fast and cover other corals, but they do come in brown, as shown. Not as nice as the green variation. You can slip something flat, like a butter knife or something under the mat and peel it off gently.

They are encrusting gorgonians. Notice the longer stem with short, flowwery tentacles on the polyps. GSP do not have flowery/lacy tentacles

Depending on what reference you look at Briareum spp. are called star polyps, encrusting gorgonians or a number of other things. Encrusting gorgonian can also refer to Erythropodium spp., but the difference would be hard to see in that photo. It would be easier to tell with the polyps retracted.

I am used to using the star polyps name, and had never heard encrusting gorgonian until you mentioned it, even though they refer to the same animal. I was not referring to GSP. It is clearly not a GSP. Much to flowy and flowery for that.

I kind of thought star polyp but wasn't sure and didn't hear of anyone else on here complaining about it. I guess that will be my weekend project. Luckily there is not much other coral attached to that rock.

It may not be, as I didn't notice that the polyps looked feathery. A very close relative to star polyps, judging by the mat and growth pattern. Either way, I would say it can be removed/controlled the same way as you would the other star polyps.

Back
Top Bottom