Three ID's (From "Fun Things That Happen..")

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hypostomus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have tried to make these as small as possible without making them impossible to see. I am also going to try and use the attachment feature for the first time.

1) Some brown stuff that's been on the rock pictured since I first got it. Hasn't done anything that I can remember, but I haven't been here for a few months since the tank was set up.

2) ...feather duster? .....pest anemone..? The green thing to the right is my mithrax crab.

3) Blobby thing. I have included an artist's rendering :)roll:) and a short clip. Unfortunately, in the clip it is out of focus- you can still see its "pulsing" though, especially toward the middle and latter half. Look right around the top of the shrimp (the blob is on the glass).

The last one looks like a hydroid jellyfish.. tiny clear white little guys that cling to the glass.. for the 2nd one, poke it and see if it retracts lightning fast, then it's probably a featherduster. For the first one, see if you can get up and under those things and if they are shrooms. Otherwise if they are like "cemented on" with no edges then they might be some kind of sponge growth?

Yeah, they aren't mushrooms as far as I can tell. They're pretty much stuck on there all the way.

The second one does retract, but I had read that sometimes young anemones will do that too so I wanted to make sure.

Thank you.. :D

sure thing... if it is a featherduster it will look exactly like a featherduster with extremely thin and feathery crown, whereas anemones always have *some* kind of fatness to their lil tentacles. Also a featherduster retracts like BAM! and completely disappears, but an anemone like an aip is not as quick and takes much longer to FULLY retract.

Those stuck-on-alltheway things, do they yield at all when you poke em like a sponge would?

Back
Top Bottom