tiny green spider-like creature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dananelson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First off I would like to say that I am not a beginner, i Have had my saltwater tank for about 3 years..And Learned a LOT
Last night my boyfriend turned on the light in my tank and saw a green creature aprox the size of a dime. We could not get a picture but he said it looked like a clump of algae at first glance but then it moved, he said it looked like a "underwater tarantula" hairy and fast (and green) somewhat resembled a tiny octopus in the way it moved with its feet under it like it was sliding effortlessley...Then of course, it dissapeared into the rock. ANY IDEAS ANYONE?! I know the picture would help , but as you also know, its hard to get a picture of something so small in the middle of the night in the tank! :(
THANKS SO MUCH

Perhaps it was a pycnogonid, also called a sea spider. I can usually find them when I'm out doing research out on the tide pool areas in Northern California. Just a guess :) Do a search on google images and see if that's what you saw

Definetley too large of a creature to be living in the live rock of my 30gal aquarium. lol.
Thanks for the idea tho this thing was really small...like dime sized. :)

Perhaps it was a pycnogonid, also called a sea spider. I can usually find them when I'm out doing research out on the tide pool areas in Northern California. Just a guess :) Do a search on google images and see if that's what you saw

I was confused by what you said until I did the search on google. The specimens that I found on my trips were about the size of a dime

Nope this thing had no pinchers or anthing. It looked like a clump of algae and he said that if it hadnt moved he would never have seen it. I have no idea but in the mean time we are on the lookout for it again and hopefullly we see it again and then maybe we can get a better look. :)

No it definately was not a brittle starfish. I have a few of those and it was nothing like those that i have.

Back
Top Bottom