Tiny starfish ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Convict2161 said:
My harlequin loves them!

That is a ridiculously cool shrimp. I want one but I think my wife would kill me if I bought a starfish eating shrimp. And that must be expensive to feed. I am also becoming quite partial to my asterinas and don't think I want them to go.

CaptainJugz said:
And then they take 0va!!!!!

I'm assuming they took over your tank, if they do will a harlequin do the trick?

Ell no they never took 0va my tank! Plucked them bad boys out by tweezer before the got a chance ....and they multiply.

Ericwm said:
Thanks, It is a 29 gallon and I have only had it up for 3 months. I was thrilled when I saw the zoas at my LFS last week. I was even happier when I got it in my tank and had some little stars and found out they are not bad for a tank. I hope yours are ok, what size is your tank.

I have a 75g that's about two months old now. Seems to be doing well. Have a few zoas and mushrooms but nothing too fancy yet. Just giving it time to settle before I go crazy.

I want a bigger one but I think I'm gonna stick with this one for a long while to get everything figured out. Then I will put my engineering to the test and build a big one from scratch. I read some of your other threads and I like the idea you used for your sump. I don't have one on this tank but wouldnt mind adding a little one. Is your tank drilled or can you pull water out the top and into your sump?

Ericwm said:
I want a bigger one but I think I'm gonna stick with this one for a long while to get everything figured out. Then I will put my engineering to the test and build a big one from scratch. I read some of your other threads and I like the idea you used for your sump. I don't have one on this tank but wouldnt mind adding a little one. Is your tank drilled or can you pull water out the top and into your sump?

My tank is drilled BUT I still pull water from the top as well. I'm sure you could get away with just doing it that way instead of having to drill. I actually changed my set up just a but by aginrg a protein skimmer to the middle container of the sump. The containers all together cost about $20. That was for the 30 gallon tupperware container, the tall one sitting to the far left which contains the sock filter the water runs through, bioballs and phosphate sponges. I then placed a shorter sized container next to that one. The water from the taller one flows into it from holes I poked through. The middler one is the one that now contains the protein skimmer and drains from holes I poked in the bottom. Last part is simply the pump to get our back into the tank. Obviously the pump and skimmer will be the most expensive parts, but it definitely was fun to figure out and saved me money. I'll part some pictures for you.

ForumRunner_20120909_155927.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120909_155912.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120909_155912.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 40
  • ForumRunner_20120909_155954.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120909_155954.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 36
  • ForumRunner_20120909_160001.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120909_160001.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 35
  • ForumRunner_20120909_160010.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120909_160010.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 35
  • ForumRunner_20120909_160037.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120909_160037.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 34

Sorry I couldn't really get a good pic of the entire thing in action as it sits under my stand. I hope you get the idea though. Tried taking a picture of each section so you can put it together in your head lol. Hope it helps for your future tank!

I can't wait to upgrade but I am going to make myself. I want a tank system that will be to big to move so it will be in my next house whenever that comes.

Back on the asterinas, my little guy I moved to the glass keeps climbing to the top of the tank so he is half out of water. Is this normal or will he die? Also could this be a sign of an issue with my tank?

I think he'll be okay. Mine did the same thing and I pushed him back down. After that I couldn't find him till tonight...he's on one of my giant empty conch shells. Woooohoo! So hair he's still around.

As for yours, I went to one of the lfs I've never been to today and they had a ton of starfish. Even these little guys were on some of the tanks. Some of the chocolate chip starfish, the asternias and linkias were halfway out of the water and seemed to be fine. The guy that worked there said they had just done a major water change and everyone was happier than ever so I'm guessing it's normal. My snailsdo the same thing from time to time as well. Do you regularly change water? I'm thinking if these guys eat algae they'd be fine in a tank that's kinda on the dirty side as well as a clean one with algae only on lr. Maybe he was always on the lr cause that's where most of your algae is.

He has been there all day and has moved about halfway around the tank. I did knock him down for a while for a water change so he wasn't fully out but he went right back up.

I want a bigger star but don't think it is a good idea in a 30 gallon, especially one that has only Ben up 3 month. If I get one it will probably be a red Bali, they don't get too big so hopefully my tank can support him.

I actually have a brittle sea star as well. I want to add a purple linkia too. A lot off people tell me too take the sea star our cause he might eear my fish...but my one wrasse actually sleeps in the same little live rock cave. I feed him clam out brine shrimp every other day. You could always supplement yup be sure they get the food needed.

I moved 2 asterinas to my glass a couple of weeks ago and today I just watched one split. It was way cool, I guess that means they like it on my glass.

image-369799635.jpg

image-137372390.jpg

image-3398972971.jpg

image-660830933.jpg

image-1852341046.jpg

Wow that's awesome!!! So cool to see it happen. How long did it take him to split? I've been seeing more lately but not a ridiculous amount. Saw a blue one the other day that was awesome looking.

It was way cool. I noticed it was a funny shope when the lights turned on this morning

Ericwm said:
It was way cool. I noticed it was a funny shope when the lights turned on this morning

Oops. I noticed it was a funny shape this morning and within a half hour I had 2 three legged stars:)

Convict2161 said:
My harlequin loves them!

I am starting to hope that they do take over because I want a harlequin. How many asterinas would I need to support a harlequin? Do you have any luck with him eating anything else?

Back
Top Bottom