Transparent anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vulpixeled

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently bought some feather caulerpa and it had a lumpy brown spot on it. I didn't do anything because I thought it was just a part of the algae. Five days later and it has formed into an anemone shape. Its foot is transparent and its tentacles are brown. I tried giving it some squid and it took it into its stomach but I return an hour later and it spit it out. I do remember seeing some fully grown anemones in the tank I bought it from. Does anyone know what this is and should I remove it or at least of the caulerpa? I will post some pictures as soon as I can

That sounds much like aiptasia, a pest glass anemone that can easily spread around the tank and when they get larger can sting fish and corals. Remove it by just cutting the algae and throwing it all out...usually aiptasia-x is a great solution but in this case you can simply cut the issue out...just don't break the aiptasia as glass anemone can reproduce as they 'shatter' from the break making many more.

Back
Top Bottom