Tubes coming out of rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

militaryminded1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have noticed tube looking things around my polyps can someone Identify them for me. I have never seen anything come out from them. I'm not sure if it could be a feather duster or not.

Attachments

• image-473588818.jpg
    image-473588818.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 119
  • image-2701034701.jpg
    image-2701034701.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 109
Those are Vermatid snail tubes. Basically harmless filter feeders. They secrete a mucous strand into the water, and basically use it like a fishing line. Food gets stuck to the strand, and they reel it back in to eat. The strand may irritate the polyps next to it, or ones that it touches, but won't do any harm to them.

Flreefer said:
Those are Vermatid snail tubes. Basically harmless filter feeders. They secrete a mucous strand into the water, and basically use it like a fishing line. Food gets stuck to the strand, and they reel it back in to eat. The strand may irritate the polyps next to it, or ones that it touches, but won't do any harm to them.

Thank you so much for your help I have noticed the web but I didn't think anything of it now it all makes sense. I took another look at the tube then I started to see movement.

Back
Top Bottom